Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair Measurements

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    I don't think I would want to use the measurements of the chair I have now for reference seeing as how the measurements are all wrong. Maybe I will just go to my seating and positioning clinic. I would have liked to try an Icon out but there are no dealers in Illinois.
    We'll be at the Chicago Abilities Expo at the end of June, and I'd be happy to do a fitting and let you have a test ride, or if you want to put me in touch with your preferred DME, we can send a demo to that location, and you can try an Icon there, or at your seating clinic.

Any Spinergy wheel will fit on the Icon, (even the pink ones).

Quote Originally Posted by ipenguin View Post
    Shedding a few pounds here or there makes relatively little difference once the weight of the user is added.
    Actually it does, for many users. Its not just about pushing the chair but about being able to get out to places in the chair. For those without public transportation this means in your own car. For those without the money to adapt a vehicle to drive from the wheelchair, or purchase a type of lift to load and unload the chair it means loading and unloading the chair yourself for complete independence. I've read plenty of accounts here from people who gained much more freedom from lighter chairs that they could easily load and unload.

I'm trying to get out to places alone without assistance, and that requires loading and unloading the chair myself. I have a Q7 which is already a very lightweight chair, especially when broken down. However the action of breaking down and putting back together the chair is also difficult and wearing on me so I have to find the right balance between breaking down the chair and being able to load the parts with minimal strain. As a result I get out much less alone than when I have someone to load and unload the chair for me, and when I do get out I can only go to one place or run one errand because thats all I've got in me for the load/unload/load at this point in time.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    I don't think I would want to use the measurements of the chair I have now for reference seeing as how the measurements are all wrong. Maybe I will just go to my seating and positioning clinic. I would have liked to try an Icon out but there are no dealers in Illinois.
    Your current measurements are useful not because you'd use them again but because you know what's wrong with them. Even if you get measured by someone else, it's useful to work out the measurements yourself as well, as a confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Actually it does, for many users. Its not just about pushing the chair but about being able to get out to places in the chair. For those without public transportation this means in your own car. For those without the money to adapt a vehicle to drive from the wheelchair, or purchase a type of lift to load and unload the chair it means loading and unloading the chair yourself for complete independence. I've read plenty of accounts here from people who gained much more freedom from lighter chairs that they could easily load and unload.

I'm trying to get out to places alone without assistance, and that requires loading and unloading the chair myself. I have a Q7 which is already a very lightweight chair, especially when broken down. However the action of breaking down and putting back together the chair is also difficult and wearing on me so I have to find the right balance between breaking down the chair and being able to load the parts with minimal strain. As a result I get out much less alone than when I have someone to load and unload the chair for me, and when I do get out I can only go to one place or run one errand because thats all I've got in me for the load/unload/load at this point in time.
    Yeah I don't know what I was thinking...I have major trouble with the car thing. I had a bit of brain freeze

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    We'll be at the Chicago Abilities Expo at the end of June, and I'd be happy to do a fitting and let you have a test ride, or if you want to put me in touch with your preferred DME, we can send a demo to that location, and you can try an Icon there, or at your seating clinic.

Any Spinergy wheel will fit on the Icon, (even the pink ones).
    I will come to the expo if you promise not to laugh at my current chair.

I promise.....cross my heart.

I can also promise that the Icon will fit.

I promise.....cross my heart.

I can also promise that the Icon will fit.
    Ok so should I tell you what day I'm going to go? Are you going to be there all day each day or do I need to come at a specific time?

I'll be at the expo all day, every day. Looking forward to meeting you.

I'll try to have one of our demos equipped with pink Spinergy wheels.

I'll be at the expo all day, every day. Looking forward to meeting you.

I'll try to have one of our demos equipped with pink Spinergy wheels.

You know that would make me the happiest girl in the world right? lol

Looking forward to meeting you too...I will be there for sure.

I wish I had the cash to take the train up for the abilities expo! Maybe next year.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.