Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My caster start flutter

I doubt that your camber has changed on your chair, so you will probably discover that it is already set at 90 degrees. Unless they didn't set it up correctly from the start, and since you did not have problems with flutter originally then I doubt that it the problem. Most likely your caster bearings have just loosened up from wear and the grease that was originally in the bearings is either gone or is losing viscosity. SInce they put aspacer in-between the two bearings when you tighten the bold that someone else said to ry, all you are doing is exerting a force on the inner races. So unless you manage to get the bolt tight enough to somehow distort the inner races of the bearings then it is unlikely to make turning the casters any more difficult. So what is the solution? not sure, maybe you could re-pack the bearings with some heavy grease or new bearings might fix your problem. I'm not really sure where your solution lies. My Quickie had fluttering casters from the first day I got it, my solution was Froglegs...

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    I doubt that your camber has changed on your chair, so you will probably discover that it is already set at 90 degrees. Unless they didn't set it up correctly from the start, and since you did not have problems with flutter originally then I doubt that it the problem. Most likely your caster bearings have just loosened up from wear and the grease that was originally in the bearings is either gone or is losing viscosity. SInce they put aspacer in-between the two bearings when you tighten the bold that someone else said to ry, all you are doing is exerting a force on the inner races. So unless you manage to get the bolt tight enough to somehow distort the inner races of the bearings then it is unlikely to make turning the casters any more difficult. So what is the solution? not sure, maybe you could re-pack the bearings with some heavy grease or new bearings might fix your problem. I'm not really sure where your solution lies. My Quickie had fluttering casters from the first day I got it, my solution was Froglegs...
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    I think I have figured out the reason why my caster flutter.

1. I use the same strength like I push my solid tire, and pneumatic tire don't need that much of strength.

2. Certain floor surface.

3. The psi of tire is too high and not even, I lower down to 120 psi equally, and improve a lot.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

To piggy back on this thread, a friend has a ZRA that he ordered with 4" casters. He switched to 5" casters and had to go to the bottom hole to get them to fit, so he has raised the front 1". He now has flutter, no surprise. Any options for him to fix this, outside of going back to 4" casters?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    To piggy back on this thread, a friend has a ZRA that he ordered with 4" casters. He switched to 5" casters and had to go to the bottom hole to get them to fit, so he has raised the front 1". He now has flutter, no surprise. Any options for him to fix this, outside of going back to 4" casters?
    Adjust the angle fork at 90ยบ and tight a bit the sping fork.