Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: caretaker accompanying in public restrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Ami, I think this is one of those issues in the disability community of best chosen language, ranking up there with the term wheelchair bound. In legal language caretaker connotes mental incapacity and I think most people with a physical disability would regard caregiver as a more enlightened term than caretaker if there is no mental insufficiency.

All the best,
    GJ
    I understood that from your first post.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    I understood that from your first post.
    It wasn't clear to me that you did.

All the best,
    GJ

I think what it boils down to is that we all want to do the best we can for our loved ones and friends even when the circumstances are awkward.
    It is sort of a case by case situation and we all handle it the best we can with grace and without offending others.
    On a lighter note I find the term caretaker too similar to undertaker.

Thanks guys. She has the link to follow the convo herself, and the consensus seems to be he should go ahead and accompany her if needed, and announce it first.

nothing intended by the word choice of course. I just used the word she used, which was probably the word the person talking t her used. She is fully independent and doesn't normally use a caregiver, but because of the surgery she may need assistance outside of home.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Actually Ami I think it is OK to use any restroom as long as it is announced first and a heads up is given that a person of the opposite sex is about to enter. Curious about something though. For many many years one of my best friends was a high level quad with an "easy release" thingie on his leg bag. When it needed emptying we simply found a patch of grass, or better yet a storm drain, and I would yank the release valve for him. Lacking either grass or drains, a quiet spot in the parking lot worked just fine, and avoided the whole bathroom thing entirely.
    On a personal note, I could never even come close to counting the number of parking lots, roadside pull offs, and the like I have used. It is far easier for me to "take care of business" in the back of my smoked windows van than to try to transfer because everything has to be nearly perfect for me to pull that off, and it rarely is other than at my own house.

When we are outdoors we have emptied the leg bag in some discreet places too.
    I've gotten quite good at using a gatorade bottle under a table and putting it in a plastic bag for later disposal.
    For that reason we don't run into the issue that many of you have with public restrooms.
    Ours is more finding a place to suction-though people tend to leave in a hurry when they see what you are up to!

Yes, we use the great out of doors or inside the van whenever possible. But sometimes, like when we are at a hockey game mostly, we are stuck indoors and have no choice but to use the facilities. Glad you are OK with it .... it really is awkward for all of us.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I too have been forced a time or two to find an out of the way bush or gutter drain, but I'm not comfortable with it at all. Living in the bay area of San Francisco, we see (and smell) our large population of homeless people using the streets, sidewalks, doorways, rapid transit elevators, and parks as outdoor "toilets" and I really don't like adding my waste to the environment in this manner.

On another note, in many communities in California and probably other states, public urination (and I would presume dumping urine) is a misdemeanor which can carry a six month jail term/$1000 fine.

I carry a 1 quart nalgene bottle in a backpack and NL empties my leg bag while we are still in the van, behind that out of the way bush or table (as LindaT suggests), or a secluded corner of a building to be emptied later if a restroom is not available or convenient for us to use. Personally, I think we have a obligation to our environment and communities not to dump our human waste in public areas.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I too have been forced a time or two to find an out of the way bush or gutter drain, but I'm not comfortable with it at all. Living in the bay area of San Francisco, we see (and smell) our large population of homeless people using the streets, sidewalks, doorways, rapid transit elevators, and parks as outdoor "toilets" and I really don't like adding my waste to the environment in this manner.

On another note, in many communities in California and probably other states, public urination (and I would presume dumping urine) is a misdemeanor which can carry a six month jail term/$1000 fine.

I carry a 1 quart nalgene bottle in a backpack and NL empties my leg bag while we are still in the van, behind that out of the way bush or table (as LindaT suggests), or a secluded corner of a building to be emptied later if a restroom is not available or convenient for us to use. Personally, I think we have a obligation to our environment and communities not to dump our human waste in public areas.

All the best,
    GJ
    If I was fined for everytime I dump urine I would be very broke. Urine is one of the least harmful substances on the planet in terms of being a biohazard. I know it carries a "yuck" factor for some people, but it's not like it stops dogs from using the great outdoors, and I am a lot more discreet than my canine friends, being careful to dump at the edges of parking lots, or over drains if obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    If I was fined for everytime I dump urine I would be very broke. Urine is one of the least harmful substances on the planet in terms of being a biohazard. I know it carries a "yuck" factor for some people, but it's not like it stops dogs from using the great outdoors, and I am a lot more discreet than my canine friends, being careful to dump at the edges of parking lots, or over drains if obvious.
    I understand and appreciate your point of view and reference to animals. However, we are human beings and can make provisions for and take responsibility for collecting our urine and disposing of it in a more conventional manner.

All the best,
    GJ

PS: Sorry to wander off the subject of this thread. Didn't mean to hijack the topic/thread.