Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a letter from the VA

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    That is not strictly true. We do not certify PCAs/family caregivers annually. Once is fine, unless there is a new caregiver. We also certify through the local SCI spoke clinic, and also by the SCI home care nurse, not just at the SCI hub clinic or inpatient unit. There is a great amount of leeway in how each center does this. 1176.1 only requires that certification (training and competency validation) be done by SCI-trained staff.

(KLD)
    It is strictly true at the MPLS VA SCI Center. My wife has been a RN for the past 24 years and is required to be recertified every year, as if it's easy to forget! Some other VA's may be different, I'm just telling it how it is here.

We are going in tomorrow to the local VA to meet the educator. She asked if we had been to CO (Craig). Hopefully it is the right class.
    I'm not sure what the caregiver pay would be, but every little bit helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    We are going in tomorrow to the local VA to meet the educator. She asked if we had been to CO (Craig). Hopefully it is the right class.
    I'm not sure what the caregiver pay would be, but every little bit helps.
    I have been watching on several sites to see what the stipend might be. It is apparently a close held secret or something, lol. No one anywhere will admit to what it is. Been trying to find out what it is in different markets around the country, so far no luck but I believe that it is still only available to post 9/11 vets and families.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    I have been watching on several sites to see what the stipend might be. It is apparently a close held secret or something, lol. No one anywhere will admit to what it is. Been trying to find out what it is in different markets around the country, so far no luck but I believe that it is still only available to post 9/11 vets and families.

I was looking at the brochures in a caregiver packet and some of the wording seemed to include only the post 9/11 vets and another paragraph included vets that needed help with daily living.
    The social worker at our local VA is very nice and trying to help, but we seem to get sent in circles.
    I guess we will find out today.
    Please don't think I am being critical of the VA-we are grateful he was accepted and the experience has been 99% positive. The Mpls SCI center was great. Everyone here helping made it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I was looking at the brochures in a caregiver packet and some of the wording seemed to include only the post 9/11 vets and another paragraph included vets that needed help with daily living.
    The social worker at our local VA is very nice and trying to help, but we seem to get sent in circles.
    I guess we will find out today.
    Please don't think I am being critical of the VA-we are grateful he was accepted and the experience has been 99% positive. The Mpls SCI center was great. Everyone here helping made it happen.
    You are completely right about programs being open to more than just post 9/11 vets and I don't think for a minute that you are complaining in any way about the VA. I know you wouldn't do that. I have no complaints about the VA for the most part, but I have no illusions either. I am very grateful for the help and care that they provide for me.

This is not a complaint, but a mild frustration every time I get on the treadmill of trying to find out information I need to know. It seems that there is not a one stop shop for information and policy and we are frequently told 12 diferent things by 12 different people. The key is know what is right and then go for it with evidence if needed.

It is hard to solve problems if you do not know about them and you go round and round in circles and nobody told you there was a problem or solution because they didn't know there was one either. Just keep calm and carry on as the Brits say. It is a fact of VA life for most of us.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I am very persistent. It can be exhausting though. Once you reach the right person it is worth it.

Two separate programs. One is for any veteran with a disability that impairs their ability to provide their own bowel and bladder care. This is for both SC and NSC, regardless of era. It provides very limited hours (generally up to 4-6/day) and is funded locally out of the local VA. The social worker at the local VA in the SCI clinic should be very familiar with this one, and how to apply. Most will pay a family member vs. using an agency, but this varies by location.

From the VHA Handbook 1176.1 (SCI Services)
    Fee Basis Services
    (1) Bowel and bladder care for certain veterans with SCI are considered supportive medical services due to the possibility of medical complications. The clinic of jurisdiction, or medical center, authorizes such care under the fee-basis program to eligible veterans dependent upon others for their bowel and bladder care while residing in their community.
    (2) Provisions of M-1, Part I, Chapter 18, are applicable to SCI veterans requiring home-care services. Adverse determinations of entitlement are not to be made without considering recommendations from the nearest SCI Center. When bowel and bladder care is not desired or cannot be procured through a skilled licensed provider, any individual employed by the veteran as a home health attendant, when trained and certified as competent by VHA personnel, may receive reimbursement for provision of this care. A relative (by blood or marriage) of a veteran in the fee basis program is not to be excluded from treating the veteran for a fee, as long as professional and/or training requirements are met. Reimbursement does not exceed the hourly rate paid to nursing assistants employed at a VA facility. Reimbursement is to be consistent with the hourly rate set by the local or state guideline in which the SCI veteran resides. In no instance shall fee-basis bowel and bladder care be authorized for a veteran who can perform this function unassisted. Bowel and bladder care at VA expense may be authorized for all veterans based on clinical need, including those receiving Aid and Attendance benefits.
    http://www.inspire.com/groups/als-ad...ured-veterans/

The other caregiver program is new and ONLY available for those who served in OEF/OIF (ie, post 9/11) on active duty and who are service connected. That program pays a family member, and allows more categories of care needs, including supervision for those with TBI, etc.:\

http://www.caregiver.va.gov/support_benefits.asp

Here is some additional information:

http://www.caregiver.va.gov/

(KLD)