Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Questions for crutch walkers....

Hello, I also tried crutches one day it was raining + slip sliding i went. I like to use a walker so i can hang my purse on. Please can any one tell me what propreception is since you here on this thread are crutch walkers, do any or you here have it? Dr. Young said we need it for balance. Mabe you are like me who dont have it + got it. thankyou so much.

Sidestixs + unifoot bottoms can it be done?

Or sidestixs with a quad base?

Im very interested in sidestix crutches but need the quad base

Quote Originally Posted by TM from PA View Post
    Hello, I also tried crutches one day it was raining + slip sliding i went. I like to use a walker so i can hang my purse on. Please can any one tell me what propreception is since you here on this thread are crutch walkers, do any or you here have it? Dr. Young said we need it for balance. Mabe you are like me who dont have it + got it. thankyou so much.
    Proprioception is the ability to know how your limbs/joints are moving in space... with your eyes closed. Even if you aren't looking at your feet, you "know" where they are and if they are moving. It's kind of a tricky concept.

My Dad is L3 ASIA C. His feet are pretty much numb, with little movement. If I move his big toe up and down, he can't tell how I am moving it. That's a problem with proprioception in his toes. But if I move his whole foot up or down (moving it at the ankle), he can feel it and knows which way I am moving it.

It is harder to walk if you don't have proprioception in your feet/ankles. If you close your eyes, you will often fall.

BUT, if you add some assistance devices.... like crutches or a walker....it's kind of like giving yourself an extra pair of feet, and you can compensate better for having poor proprioception.

But as we all know, don't walk with your eyes closed!

There are 3 systems that contribute to balance: vision (you can see the floor, you can see the horizon), the vestibular system (inner ear), and proprioception (the knowledge of where your body is in space without seeing it).

Generally, if 2 of the three are intact, you can manage to balance (this is why hlh said not to close your eyes).

Sensation (perceiving touch) and proprioception are different, and some folks without proprioception can substitute sensation (if I can feel the cold slickness of the floor under my feet, I then know that my feet are on the floor).

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say hi, and quickly answer a couple of questions.

Bonnette - we have a youtube video that goes over the cuff resizing process. Like Arndog said, it's a good idea to leave yourself a bit of room so you can use the leather cuff pad if you want.

cyfskid - If you would like, I can talk to the engineers and see if we can come up with a quad-tip option. I don't think we've adapted a quad-tip before, but they're pretty clever back there so maybe they can work something out.

hlh & Katja - this is awesome info on balance systems, you guys sure know your stuff!

Arndog and shveddy are both really active users so they're great resources for anyone, as I'm sure everyone on here already knows.

I usually just come and read this thread just to educate myself because there's a wealth of knowledge on here. Anyone I meet with an SCI that is looking for more resources or information, or just some people who are going through the same challenges, I send them here.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SideStix View Post
    Bonnette - we have a youtube video that goes over the cuff resizing process.
    Thanks very much for that link, SideStix!

Thankyou hlh + Katja for the imformation on propreception. Since i can only feel the ball of my foot +heel + not toes + have no ankel movement could be the reason for lack of propreception. and yes iwalk on a walker. yea no walking with eyes closed.

Adjusting your crutches

Hello folks,

My Dad was wondering if you guys have any pointers for adjusting the height of your crutches? Especially from those of you with core weakness/balance issues, who rely upon your arms a lot to walk.

My PT says that the wrist crease, hip joint and handgrip should line up when weight is applied. I'm sure that individual variations also come into play (e.g., the core weakness issue), so I'll be interested to hear what others say.

How is your dad liking his crutches so far? Or is it still too early to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    My PT says that the wrist crease, hip joint and handgrip should line up when weight is applied. I'm sure that individual variations also come into play (e.g., the core weakness issue), so I'll be interested to hear what others say.

How is your dad liking his crutches so far? Or is it still too early to say?

He likes them, but is still adjusting to them.

The hand numbness has stopped with the new crutches/new gloves. Fortunately, the shock absorber does not destabilize him and he likes it. Watching him walk, it seems like his shoulders are not getting stressed as much with each step, which I attribute to the shock absorber taking some of the stress.

He is still not sure about the handgrips, as they seem "small" to him. But he is a big guy and has large hands and is used to the WalkEasy hand grips which are longer etc... He might get a neoprene covering for the SideStix handgrip to see if that feels better.

It is a tricky thing finding the best way to walk. The best posture, the best crutch adjustments.... so you feel stable, you decrease your back pain, you decrease stress on your joints etc.. I think it is probably very individual how you ultimately have to adjust your crutches. We will probably have a PT watch him and give us some pointers.

What we know for sure is that the videos showing how to adjust crutches if you are an amputee don't translate as well for us, since their technique while walking is different and they are less likely to have core weakness/similar back issues.

My Dad agrees that the SideStix crutches look cool. They appear very stable, and very well made. He has communicated with the folks who make them in Canada many times, and they are incredibly patient and helpful. We are glad to be supporting this company.