Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for crutch walkers....

Smile

Hi guys,
    This is a great discussion, everyone is so positive and helpful! I just wanted to respond to a couple of things, just so we can help you understand what SideStix are (and aren't!) good for.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    How I wish there was a place you could go and just try all the different crutches out.... Since some of these crutches are quite pricey, it would nice.
    We offer a full 30-day money-back guarantee, so you would be free to try SideStix if you decided to go that route. Our policy is similar to Fetterman's in that you would have to pay the return shipping. If you have extended benefits you can get 100% coverage for SideStix, which makes the price a non-factor! We're very aware that not everyone can afford a $600-$800 pair of crutches, and we're working really hard to make them easier to get and more affordable.

I totally agree with some of the members here that Fetterman Tornado tips are they way to go for most crutch users. They articulate pretty well and last for awhile. We offer articulating rotating feet as an attachment, but we wouldn't recommend that for anyone other than a swing gait walker (where your leg(s) swing past the crutches with each step). Even we put Tornado tips on our crutches, they're just a good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I was very tempted to get a pair of SideStix awhile back, but have only one functional hand and couldn't break them down and do maintenance.
    Bonette, I'm not sure what type of gait you have when using crutches, but maintenance would only be required if you outfitted your crutches with the rotating articulating feet. Other than that, they require no maintenance. You would maybe need someone to help you set them up out of the box however.

If you aren't interested in SideStix as a whole or they are out of your price range, but still want a better grip, you can get the Ergon grips we use at a bike store and they can probably help you install them too. We're working on a really exciting new handgrip but it is still in the prototype phase, so Ergon really is your best bet.

I really am not trying to sell anyone on anything, as I really respect this board and the contributors, but I wanted to respond to a few things people seemed unsure about.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SideStix View Post
    Bonette, I'm not sure what type of gait you have when using crutches, but maintenance would only be required if you outfitted your crutches with the rotating articulating feet. Other than that, they require no maintenance. You would maybe need someone to help you set them up out of the box however.
    What excellent information! Thanks so much - it's good to know that a person wouldn't necessarily need to break SideStix down for maintenance. I'm also glad to learn that it's possible to purchase your ergonomic handgrips separately - and that you endorse the Tornado tip.

hlh, lots to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    ...plus Tornado tips are pretty hefty in and of themselves, and Fetterman replaces the Arbin Quickstep tips with Tornados.
    I asked Fetterman to send me the original Quickstep tips as well, which they don't normally do (I think they just toss them). If I had kept the Quicksteps, I probably would have swapped the tips back out - the Tornado tips were odd on the Quicksteps because of the oval cross section. The crutches felt a little unsteady when planting them ahead of my feet where the top of the Tornado tip doesn't actually hug the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I asked Fetterman to send me the original Quickstep tips as well, which they don't normally do (I think they just toss them). If I had kept the Quicksteps, I probably would have swapped the tips back out - the Tornado tips were odd on the Quicksteps because of the oval cross section. The crutches felt a little unsteady when planting them ahead of my feet where the top of the Tornado tip doesn't actually hug the metal.
    You know, I was thinking that Quicksteps with Tornado tips might not be the best combo. The line of the Quickstep is sleek and elegant, and its original tip finishes the design in a way that not only looks good, but provides a broad, stable base for walking. When I look at pictures of the Quickstep, it's hard to imagine them accommodating Tornado tips - especially considering the oval shape of the tubes. Like you, if I ordered a pair, I would want the original tips in addition to the Tornadoes.

Has anyone gotten their medical insurance to reimburse the more expensive crutches or tips? How did you do that?

I guess the nice forearm crutches/tips are our Tilite wheelchair.... although unfortunately most of us need one of those as well!

Thanks again for all of your discussions.

And which padded gloves do you guys use? Arndog?

thanks again.

If your father's grip is strong, he will benefit from padded gloves. My grip is very weak bilaterally and it's hard to wrap my fingers around the handgrips of my crutches - it would be impossible, with the added bulk of padding. So I use football gloves, which have a flat latex-type material sewn onto the palms and palmar aspects of the fingers. Your dad could try out different types of gloves at bike and sporting goods stores and see what works best with his handgrips.

HLH -agree with Bonnette - go to a "sports authority" type store that has both bike and other sports I would start with gel gloves from a bike store or department-

Thanks Bonnette and Arndog. He has only used wheelchair gloves up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Has anyone gotten their medical insurance to reimburse the more expensive crutches or tips? How did you do that?
    Hi hlh, I'm not sure what your medical coverage is currently but we have 100% coverage through extended benefits. You can get more info at http://sidestix.com/coverage-options/. We've tried to make the process as painless as possible . As always if anyone here has any questions you can reach me day or night at 'josh AT sidestix.com' or @sidestix on Twitter.

I wish I had more to add on the subject of gloves, but I think Arndog and Bonnette have given great feedback already. Most of our glove-wearing users that wear biking gloves (mainly gel like Arndog suggested) or something similar.