Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Questions for crutch walkers....

I left them at factory settings for the first four or five months, and that was pretty loose. I finally got around to getting them a bit tighter and it was so much nicer. I wouldn't say they are snug - there is enough space for a sweatshirt - but I would guess that it is maybe a centimeter or two wider in diameter than my arm is. Play with it a bit and you'll find the perfect compromise between snugness and ease of arm insertion.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

My father really likes the crutch cuffs on the SideStix. The quality is so dramatically better then the WalkEasy. He also really likes how the crutches aren't constantly falling off his arms when he walks up stairs. He will definitely need to heat them and re-mold once he needs to wear a coat.

That being said, I heard that WalkEasy has improved their top end crutch, and it can now hold up to 300lbs, and has better cuffs and a few other improvements. That was needed for this cheaper option.

Totally understand the resistance to investing in a pricey pair of crutches, because this is an admission you will need them long term. My father was the same way.

Lately my father has been doing a lot of upper back/shoulder strengthening workouts (traps, lats) to optimize his crutch walking. His arms (especially triceps) are incredibly strong from crutch walking, but he needs to learn to use more of his upper back. This will help save his shoulders long term, and improve his posture.
    Last edited by hlh; 08-24-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Even though I have a much cheaper type of crutch I am stoked that I have gotten crutches. It is unbelievable how much mobility I have now. They are like freedom. I would love to get a pair of sidestix but will havew to pinch pennies and wait. If I am still crutching in 6 months I will spring for the real. For now I will keep pushing on with the cheapies.

Just FYI - Medicare just rejected our claim we submitted for coverage of SideStix. I am sure they didn't even read our letters, but rejected it simply because SideStix is not a Medicare provider. Hopefully they will find a distributor/provider to work with in the future.

Nevertheless, I decided to appeal this, just so that there will be some documentation at Medicare of the need for a light/durable/well-designed crutch for long-term crutch users... that is covered by Medicare. Like ultra-light wheelchairs.

So, has anyone got their private medical insurance to pay for their SideStix, or is everyone just paying out of pocket?

My PT just chuckled at the prospect of getting a low end insurance policy to cover them. I suppose I should have tried a bit harder, but I just sold some of my gear.

Hi everyone!

hlh - getting Medicare & Medicaid coverage for U.S. citizens is one of our top priorities right now, but as you might guess the process is very long, complicated, and drawn-out. That being said, I'd be glad to keep you updated if/when things change.

shveddy - I'm not fully informed on our insurance coverage success rates, but I've been told that people have had very good success getting them covered if you have the Letter of Justification from us, a Functional Assessment from your doctor or PT and a quote. That being said, I'm sure every provider is different and your PT probably knows what he's talking about. If it's possible to get retroactive coverage (I honestly have no clue) we'd be happy to work with you to try and get your insurance provider to help out.

If you guys would like, I'd be glad to talk to the people at the head office and find out what types of insurance providers/benefit programs have covered SideStix in the past. The information may also help in future dealings with your insurance providers.

Hope everyone's doing well!

Quote Originally Posted by SideStix View Post
    Hi everyone!

hlh - getting Medicare & Medicaid coverage for U.S. citizens is one of our top priorities right now, but as you might guess the process is very long, complicated, and drawn-out. That being said, I'd be glad to keep you updated if/when things change.

shveddy - I'm not fully informed on our insurance coverage success rates, but I've been told that people have had very good success getting them covered if you have the Letter of Justification from us, a Functional Assessment from your doctor or PT and a quote. That being said, I'm sure every provider is different and your PT probably knows what he's talking about. If it's possible to get retroactive coverage (I honestly have no clue) we'd be happy to work with you to try and get your insurance provider to help out.

If you guys would like, I'd be glad to talk to the people at the head office and find out what types of insurance providers/benefit programs have covered SideStix in the past. The information may also help in future dealings with your insurance providers.

Hope everyone's doing well!

Hey there - thanks for your input!

Yes, we know that Medicare is a monolith, and it is very complicated to work with. It is a challenge for all providers. What I suspect you will do ultimately is find a US provider to start selling your crutches that already has a relationship with Medicare. They will have to start selling your crutches at a much higher price, as providers "upcharge" all equipment as a way on compensating themselves for the hassle of having to work with insurance companies.

Our health insurance is much more complicated then in Canada. There are so many different private insurance companies that often have different criteria for coverage. Medicaid (for people with low income) is actually different in every single state. Often for any unusual medical equipment, coverage is denied initially and you have to go through multiple levels of appeals. Often the people at insurance companies reading appeals know NOTHING about SCI/rehab etc... and often claims are denied without explanation. The appeals process can also be very prolonged..... things get "lost", records get requested from doctors, doctors forget to write their letters, you have to make many follow-up phone calls, multiple levels of appeals... etc... At some point, you get worn down. That's what insurance companies hope for... that you give up.

It wouldn't surprise me if no one on this site has gotten SideStix covered because of the hassle of fighting with the insurance companies.

Yea, not to bash the entirety of our system, but it does a very poor job at covering maintenance and preventative costs, much less things that could be considered lifestyle enhancers rather than a medical necessity. For instance I can't even get someone to pay for my 300 dollar a month catheter addiction, much less carbon fiber crutches with all the bells and whistles. At least until I spend 10400 dollars out of pocket for this calendar year.

To give you Canuks an idea of what us Yanks have to deal with:

I would have a shot at getting things covered if I meet the deductible, which is $10400 in out of pocket expenses. Until I rack up 10400 dollars worth of medical debt, they do nothing for me.

Unfortunately, my 300000 dollar surgery was towards the end of 2011 so my out of pocket expenses reset with the first of the year (so now i have to rack up an additional ten grand for 2012) and now I am in this middle ground where I cost myself about 7000 dollars a year in medical expenses - which is enough to bankrupt me but not enough to get my insurance company to actually pay for anything.

And when I mean anything, I really mean it. According to the contract, they provide absolutely no useful service to me until I break the 10400 per year mark. The only thing I get until then is a very sympathetic case manager who can't actually do anything for me.

Had I bought the crutches in 2011, that wouldn't be a problem at all because I more than met my deductible for that year. Unfortunately, I couldn't walk at all at that point so the foresight just wasn't there.

And to add insult to injury, since I am technically insured it is impossible to switch to a different insurance plan due to a whopping pre-existing condition and all the state and federal stuff keeps rejecting me because I can walk (apparently the inability to micturate isn't disabled enough for them).

Haha, didn't mean to turn that into a rant, but I suppose it's hard to talk about healthcare as a frequent flyer in the system and not do so. At the very least, I hope it was somewhat informative.

That being said, I might need a letter of justification from you guys because it is actually cheaper for me at this point for me to rack up a few extra medical expenses just to bump me over that ten grand mark and then get some catheters and an ankle brace payed for... At least until next year.

Aah, the wisdom of healthcare in the US where we are always incentivized into totally rational healthcare consumption habits.

Wow it really is amazing that our stories can be so similiar. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised though. Don't let the gov't convince you that you should hold yourself back in order to get them to take care of you. I plan to just figure out how to make more money.