Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Chair suggestions for a 16 year old

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I could've been more clear too. The issue is how the Freewheel attaches to the Icon's footplate. Jeff's post explains it.

It's not the tube on the footrest that isn't strong enough... though I'm curious how it'd hold up to some of the stress tests that Icon puts their other components through - w/ the FW attached.
    Yeah, I had no idea the Icon footplate wasn't tubular. That's interesting. I run my FW attached to an angle adjustable footrest with only one tube, under the front edge of the foot plate. The back of the FW clamp attaches to the back edge of the flat footplate and the front clamps around the tube. I ran it this way for a couple of years before running set screws through the mount to fix the angle, per the instructions. It eventually rolled the footplate mount around the tube a bit, after lots of hard use. Been solid for a couple years, since.

I do really wonder when the footplate might give. I suspect it might eventually break along the back edge, where the FW "L" clamp connects.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I have an angle adjustable footrest, but it's not mounted with the tube at the front. It started out completely reversed, and now it's about midway. This is due to my knees and can't be changed at this time. Can a freewheel be mounted with it that way? I've wanted a freewheel but never thought about if my footplate positioning would cause issues.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I have an angle adjustable footrest, but it's not mounted with the tube at the front. It started out completely reversed, and now it's about midway. This is due to my knees and can't be changed at this time. Can a freewheel be mounted with it that way? I've wanted a freewheel but never thought about if my footplate positioning would cause issues.
    Given you have impaired upper body strength and can walk I doubt a freewheel is a good idea for you. Even though it allows a person to take their wheelchair onto grass and other surfaces you normally can't navigate easily in a chair it still requires a good amount of upper body strength to use a freewheel on anything other than surfaces you really don't need a freewheel on.

Many people use their FreeWheels on their wheelchairs who cannot effectively push on their own. They find that when they are being pushed by someone else they feel more secure due to the longer wheelbase and the fact that they won't don't have to worry about bumps that the pusher isn't looking for anyway that could bring the chair to a sudden halt.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Given you have impaired upper body strength and can walk I doubt a freewheel is a good idea for you. Even though it allows a person to take their wheelchair onto grass and other surfaces you normally can't navigate easily in a chair it still requires a good amount of upper body strength to use a freewheel on anything other than surfaces you really don't need a freewheel on.
    Ok, thanks. Good to know. I wanted the FW first for when I go wheelchair carting with the dogs, but if thats the only use I'd get out of it I might be better off having my roommate make me something with less of the adjustability of the FW and save some money. Something to think about, affording the FW is a long ways off.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.