Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Chair suggestions for a 16 year old

  1. #21
    Senior Member tooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    What kind of car does he plan on driving? That might affect the type of chair, wether a open or box frame.
    This is likely the most important point, although we realize what's "planned" and what actually might happen are 2 different things. I would lean toward a cantilevered-frame like a ZR for ease of bringing the chair over the lap into the car, but if Rob is more likely to get a 2-door coupe then he will have no problem loading a box-frame like a TR.

    Interesting to see everyone's views on the box vs. open frame. I'm not particularily hard on my chairs but do prefer the solid feel of my box frame. It's personal choice.

    In the end it'll be up to him, the happier he is the further life will take him. For me having a wheelchair that fits has been a big part of my quality of life/confidence/acceptance of my SCI. The better he understands the differences between chair types and options the easier it will be, although I know at that age he has different priorities.

    Good luck, try to make it fun. Dealing with vendors can be a nightmare, don't let them rush you into anything.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    This is likely the most important point, although we realize what's "planned" and what actually might happen are 2 different things. I would lean toward a cantilevered-frame like a ZR for ease of bringing the chair over the lap into the car, but if Rob is more likely to get a 2-door coupe then he will have no problem loading a box-frame like a TR.

    Interesting to see everyone's views on the box vs. open frame. I'm not particularily hard on my chairs but do prefer the solid feel of my box frame. It's personal choice.

    In the end it'll be up to him, the happier he is the further life will take him. For me having a wheelchair that fits has been a big part of my quality of life/confidence/acceptance of my SCI. The better he understands the differences between chair types and options the easier it will be, although I know at that age he has different priorities.

    Good luck, try to make it fun. Dealing with vendors can be a nightmare, don't let them rush you into anything.

    yeah, what he said.

  3. #23
    This is all helpful info! Vendor coming to the house next week bringing a ZR and ZRA, 2 different sizes. Robbie will be driving something with 4 doors. Problem with a 16 yr old, he is very concernced with style/look of the chair, wants to be cool, etc....

  4. #24
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    This is all helpful info! Vendor coming to the house next week bringing a ZR and ZRA, 2 different sizes. Robbie will be driving something with 4 doors. Problem with a 16 yr old, he is very concernced with style/look of the chair, wants to be cool, etc....
    I totally understand. The way my chair looks matters a lot to me too. That's one reason I got the Tilite TR. I thought it looked great and I never liked the look of the cantelevered (open) frame. The tubes on the ZR are wider than the TR. I didn't like that. The TR is stronger and has been built lighter. Don't know if it's still lighter than the new ZR's. There's frame flex with open frame chairs which can help absorb bumps but also makes a difference in pushing energy. Maybe some don't notice, I've heard from plenty who do. It always comes down to the individual.

    If he want something that looks cool and he can tinker with, have him get a look at the Icon. Not only is it totally adjustable but it's modular - the parts can be changed out. Start with a laminated seatpan, and later upgrade to a carbon fiber one. Take the stock shock and later upgrade to a $700-$800 Swiss shock and everything in between. Change out the sideguards from aluminum to carbon fiber and if Icon starts making other options, swap them out too.

    I'm a little worried about you seeing too few chairs. It's easy to get excited about what the rep brings, they're pretty good salespeople. But this is a commitment and if this chair doesn't work for him in some way, he may be stuck with that problem for the next few years and these are important years for him. Lots of options. I'm clearly a Tilite TR and Icon fan but there are lots of people who are thrilled with Oracing, Invacare, Top End etcetera. Being young and active, I'm guessing that if your son tried a chair with a suspension he'd be pretty excited.

    Good luck :-)

  5. #25
    does suspension typically mean more weight? his current chair is a Colours Boing it has a lot of extras including suspension, he wants to get away from most of that.

    and yes, you are right, he is in a rush to get a new chair, his current chair is falling apart and he wants to get behind the wheel, Im trying to slow him down so we can make the right decisions.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    does suspension typically mean more weight? his current chair is a Colours Boing it has a lot of extras including suspension, he wants to get away from most of that.

    and yes, you are right, he is in a rush to get a new chair, his current chair is falling apart and he wants to get behind the wheel, Im trying to slow him down so we can make the right decisions.
    My personal chair weighs 22.5 lbs with wheels, and is not our best effort for weight - our shock weighs just over 200g (about 1/2 pound).

    The weight penalties that I have on my chair are:

    5" castors
    Folding back mechanism
    Sideguards
    Leg rests
    Anti-tip brackets

    The lightest chair we can make (requires carbon seat upgrade) is 20.3lbs.

    The benefit of the Icon is that we deliver VERY quickly - right now, if he can use the regular front end, we can deliver in under 2 weeks.

    If he needs the wider front end, it will slow things down a bit, but no more than 3-4 weeks for delivery.

    If you're interested, contact me directly - 888-461-5759 x700 or by email to jeff@iconwheelchairs.com

  7. #27
    Jeff, Why do you have anti-tip brackets?

  8. #28
    For demos, and/or for after the third glass of wine.

    More "sophisticated" than a helmet.

  9. #29
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    does suspension typically mean more weight? his current chair is a Colours Boing it has a lot of extras including suspension, he wants to get away from most of that.

    and yes, you are right, he is in a rush to get a new chair, his current chair is falling apart and he wants to get behind the wheel, Im trying to slow him down so we can make the right decisions.
    The Icon is extrememly light 21-23lbs depending on configuration. At the upper end that's 2lbs lighter than my very light Tilite TR. In other designs having a suspension has meant extra weight, sometimes a fair bit. But the icon does not have a standard frame, it's very different. It is a very light, responsive chair. I think it is so different, it can't be compared to other chairs, it needs to be tried out by the rider to see what he thinks.

    This is the time to slow down and make good decisions. I remember being young and excited about things. That's when we need some one else to slow us down and think a bit more. Heck even at my age of 44, my ex-girlfriend was frequnetly doing that for me and she was right every time. I thank her for that.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Whately, MA United States
    Posts
    2,684
    Blog Entries
    2
    Sharon, I tried the Icon last weekend at the Abilities Expo in NJ, and I fully endorse it. I just got a new chair, but am *seriously* thinking about getting an Icon anyway. The ease of adjusting it for the day's activities make it a natural for an active teen like Robbie. You would be doing yourselves a huge disservice if you don't at least demo it.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Similar Threads

  1. Any suggestions for a new chair?
    By Daraby in forum Equipment
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
  2. Suggestions for new chair
    By medic1 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
  3. Chair Suggestions, Please
    By LaMemChose in forum Equipment
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 12:11 PM
  4. New chair suggestions please
    By Cachuma in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 02:05 PM
  5. Suggestions for a Chair
    By MikeC in forum Life
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •