Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chair suggestions for a 16 year old

Chair suggestions for a 16 year old

Hi, my son Robbie is a VERY active 16 year old, T4 complete since 2009. Currently he is in the chair that was ordered for him in the hospital. It is a Colours Boing and it weighs over 40lbs.

He will be driving soon so he needs something lightweight yet extremely durable. He is rough on his chair to say the least. Always out with friends, pops down steps, you get the picture.....

We are going to meet with our local vendor to look at samples today and I feel like I have no good info. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks!

Thumbs up New Chair

Howdy,imo, try every brand you can. There so many choices and good ones at that. Does he have other disabled friends? Play Bball? Maybe interview other vendors. Check out the websites etc. Good luck

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    Get a wheelchair that will accept a Freewheel. An active 16 year old definitely needs a Freewheel.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Icon (super adjustable/configurable for a growing young man - with an adjustable bicycle-shock suspension)
    TiLite
    Top End
    Oracing (top of the line)

x2 on the Freewheel.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Ive heard great things about the FreeWheel and know he needs one, we have replaced front forks and wheels numerous times on the current chair. Would a FreeWheel help with that?

Thanks for all the good suggestions! Hes been looking at lots on the internet and contacted a few buddies in chairs.

what chairs have you looked at? theres alot out there. there's Icon, tilite, kimobility, colours, mike box designs, oracing, top end ect. those are just a few. I take it this is going through your insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    Hi, my son Robbie is a VERY active 16 year old, T4 complete since 2009. Currently he is in the chair that was ordered for him in the hospital. It is a Colours Boing and it weighs over 40lbs.

He will be driving soon so he needs something lightweight yet extremely durable. He is rough on his chair to say the least. Always out with friends, pops down steps, you get the picture.....

We are going to meet with our local vendor to look at samples today and I feel like I have no good info. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Have him check out the Icon http://www.iconwheelchairs.com/.

It's lightweight and very adjustable, so he can grow with it as his body changes and his skills.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Have him check out the Icon http://www.iconwheelchairs.com/.

It's lightweight and very adjustable, so he can grow with it as his body changes and his skills.
    -scott- has an Icon and I think working to be a rep. for Icon. He's just a couple hours drive from richmond. The freewheel doesn't work all that great on the Icon(the chair isn't designed for it), but I found I can set it up so it is so well balanced, I don't really need it. I can "float" the front end pretty easy over brck, gravel, grass, ect.. and I'm a person who can't even wheelie worth the crap.

I manage some of Icon's online stuff but I don't do anything on the sales side of things, aside from helping folks connect with dealers. I live in Harrisonburg & am in Charlottesville semi-frequently. I'd be happy to meet up sometime if you guys want to look at the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post

Thanks!
    sharon he should have completely adjustable chair such as a Icon or Top End Titanium A4 until he learns over time what he need in a chair. the Titanium A4 is much lighter would make passing across him in a drivers seat much easier. what scott says he probably still a growing boyee and the Icon can grow with him plus it has a really cool suspension you can turn & off. (dont let him get too big, nothing harder on a chair than taking it to its max weight limit). good luck