I have yet another UTI, and my dr wrote me up an rx of macrobid while awaiting a C&S. I was a little surprised, because more of my UTIs are resistant to macrobid, cipro, and cephalosporins. And I'm allergic to penicillins & sulfas, so I usually am treated with levaquin. But I went ahead with taking the macrobid and waiting for the C&S results.
Anyways, I have been on the macrobid for 4 days now (out of a 10day rx), and if anything, my urine is even more cloudy than before. I am also having huge spasms in my bladder that cause my legs & hips to stiffen quite violently, almost knocking me out of my wheelchair. I've had a few close calls on the toilet and on my shower chair.
I called about the results today, since last night and this morning were particularly painful with the spasms. The results are in, and they say that this infection is susceptible to macrobid! Why then does my infection seem worse than before I started antibiotics? I know that people with SCI generally need a longer regime of antibiotics than others. And I know that I'm only on day 4 of treating it. But in the past, my infections have always responded by now and have seemed almost cleared up after this many days on antibiotics.
On another note, shortly before this UTI set it, I decided to give Vetericyn VF another try. I've had on/off cloudiness in my urine, but otherwise no symptoms of a UTI. This infection reared its ugly head a few days after I started flushing my bladder with VVF. I wouldn't expect VVF to clear up an infection that already existed, but this infection seemed to coincidentally take off right about the time I started VVF. Any thoughts?