Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: upper arm ergometer

Anyone know exactly what muscles are being using to cycle? What are the muscles used cycling backwards vs forward? Would like to know what I'm building up!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

At the bottom of this page it shows the muscles used with an ergometer versus vitaglide. I'm pretty sure it's for cranking forwards. My best guess for backwards would be the opposing muscle groups.

http://www.southwestmedical.com/prod...ine-27382.html

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post
    At the bottom of this page it shows the muscles used with an ergometer versus vitaglide. I'm pretty sure it's for cranking forwards. My best guess for backwards would be the opposing muscle groups.

http://www.southwestmedical.com/prod...ine-27382.html
    That's interesting. I wish I had a little more room and I would buy a Vitaglide. Someday. I've only been cycling backwards now. Wish I could see a pic on that. Been searching the web. Probably does a little of the opposing. I do rows w/ a black theraband so that helps too. Thanx.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    I have an off-topic question. Since my shoulders slightly started to round and I developed upper back/trap pain from overusing front muscles and weak back ones...would it make sense to eliminate the butterfly press from my workout? I know to work opposing muscles...doing rows. Wouldn't the butterfly encourage more rounding and just sabotage all the work I'm doing to strengthen my back and bring my shoulders back?
    November I am a similar injury level as you, c7 incomplete but have some back strength, so can help with some of the issues you are seeing. One big thing I can recommend is stretch. As you have been working on your chest muscles with the flys and everyday pushing you want to stretch out your chest to keep from the muscles becoming to tight and causing some of the roll forward. If you can have a helper stretch both arms back and have them try to cross them. This will stretch out your shoulders and chest a great deal. If you are doing this all solo grab onto the edge of a wall or machine with one arm and rotate your chair away causing the same stretch but only 1 arm at a time.

If your gym has cybex equipement look for their version of a row machine. The one I use has a long bench that I can set to slightly higher then my chair's set height (maybe half inch) that I can transfer on and off. Have the seat a little higher so when you are moving backwards back onto your chair that your butt doesn't push your chair backwards (found this out the hard way). Lat pulldowns are another great exercise to do for your back. I switch between a reg bar or sometimes the rope with the big giant stoppers on the end. Also one handed rows with a free weight. Us something as a support with your opposite arm/hand, bend over as far as you can, and mimick starting a low mower. If you have enough balance to hold weights and be completely leaned over in your chair bent over flys are another great exercise. Pretty much lean down onto your legs, have the weights on either side of your chair near your front casters, keeping both arms straight (slight bend don't lock them out at the elbow) raise your hands as high as shoulder height as you can. I need a person to help keep me in my chair at that point by holding my hips down but it is great for your back/shoulders.

Also highly recommend a pair of lifting hooks
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...13986.12645995

I like these better then other ones since they don't cut into my hands as much and have a nice foam padding so don't hurt your wrists as much as others (when you start doing heavier weights).