Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upper arm ergometer

upper arm ergometer

What should I aim on being able to do? I don't currently have a heart rate monitor. Should I just try to build up on the minutes I can do on it? When I change the resistence knob I can't really notice much difference. I also don't want to bulk up a lot since I'm fairly lean overall.

Also how should I set it up so I don't injure myself? I thought it said the center of the pedal area should be about shoulder level. How far out should I be reaching when the pedal is furthest from me?

This ergometer seat is height adjustable, but I would like to keep the seat at a level transfer. It also can be adjusted forward and backwards. My legs are long so I need it somewhat back. The arms attached to the pedal/cranks can be made longer and shorter too.

Thanx!!!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

What's your level? What kind of ergometer do you have.

You want the cranks at mid chest level of just a little below if possible. Full extension of the arm should have a slight bend at the elbow without rocking back and forth.

For fitness, a heart rate monitor really helps. There are different zones, heart rates, you want to get into. You can find out what your heart rate is by going online to find out. It's based primarily on age and gender.
    For myself, I use a hrt monitor and a cadence counter with my Vitaglide. It ensures that I am in the right zone using a cadence that produces the result I want. On my handcycle I do the same.

I'm kind of looking at ergometers myself; probably a Krankcycle or Sci Fit. I'm sure others here will explain the heart rate zones a little better than I.

I love using a HR monitor, polar makes nice ones. If I recall correctly, higher heart rate (certain percent of max) is fat burning, lower is endurance building.

I like doing intervals - my version of HIIT - 1 min sprint, 1 min slow (repeat 3 times) and then about 20 mins at a medium pace. This is with the vita glide, ergometer would be similar.

Patrick - what cadence counter do you use?

I use a Blackburn 5.0 bike comp. Has both heartrate and cadence.

Here's a good chart for caculating heart rate:
    http://www.machinehead-software.co.u..._abcc_bcf.html

jgrant - actually lower HRs are for fat burning (assuming you go for a long ride) and higher HR burn carbs but really all that matters is calories burned versus calories consumed. You lose fat if the latter is greater. Hey I love Nordic sit skiing and ski in Tahoe 50- 70 days a year. Just sitskiied for 3 days up to Crater lake. I had to give up alpine skiing due to my fusion being too extensive and being in too much extension. Nordic is the best. Let me know if I can give you advice. Tahoe has great track skiing and lots of sun. Ski in one layer all season (almost, maybe a slight exaggeration).....

Cool, thanks Arndog!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    What's your level? What kind of ergometer do you have.

You want the cranks at mid chest level of just a little below if possible. Full extension of the arm should have a slight bend at the elbow without rocking back and forth.

For fitness, a heart rate monitor really helps. There are different zones, heart rates, you want to get into. You can find out what your heart rate is by going online to find out. It's based primarily on age and gender.
    For myself, I use a hrt monitor and a cadence counter with my Vitaglide. It ensures that I am in the right zone using a cadence that produces the result I want. On my handcycle I do the same.

I'm kind of looking at ergometers myself; probably a Krankcycle or Sci Fit. I'm sure others here will explain the heart rate zones a little better than I.
    c6c7 incomp although I would say functionally more of a para. Here is a link to the Cybex UBE. This is what they have at the gym just an older model than shown. As you can see it has the seat sitting low compared to the cranks.

http://www.gymstore.com/ProductDetai...ctCode=CYB-UBE

Another gym has the Sci fit although I believe there too I would have to transfer onto the seat. Plus that gym has really no other equipment I can use and hate to have to go to two separate gyms for a workout.

What do you think about that Cybex? The cranks are definitely higher than mid chest when I'm using it. Do I need to higher the seat then even though this may mean I can't do the transfer solo?

I have an off-topic question. Since my shoulders slightly started to round and I developed upper back/trap pain from overusing front muscles and weak back ones...would it make sense to eliminate the butterfly press from my workout? I know to work opposing muscles...doing rows. Wouldn't the butterfly encourage more rounding and just sabotage all the work I'm doing to strengthen my back and bring my shoulders back?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post
    I love using a HR monitor, polar makes nice ones. If I recall correctly, higher heart rate (certain percent of max) is fat burning, lower is endurance building.

I like doing intervals - my version of HIIT - 1 min sprint, 1 min slow (repeat 3 times) and then about 20 mins at a medium pace. This is with the vita glide, ergometer would be similar.

Patrick - what cadence counter do you use?
    I don't really want to burn fat or too many calories. I need to put on weight. I'll check polar! What resistance are you using? Thanx.

I usually use 2-3, as my core gets stronger I think I can move up to 4. Right now if I set the resistance too high my legs will move around and my form suffers.

A note about ergometers and shoulders - pedal backwards if your machine can. Since you push your chair forward all the time, it's good to move your body in a different way and use different muscles. For the vita glide I just focus on pulling back (rather than push forward).

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post
    I usually use 2-3, as my core gets stronger I think I can move up to 4. Right now if I set the resistance too high my legs will move around and my form suffers.

A note about ergometers and shoulders - pedal backwards if your machine can. Since you push your chair forward all the time, it's good to move your body in a different way and use different muscles. For the vita glide I just focus on pulling back (rather than push forward).
    Good point on pedalling backwards. I was going to rotate, but maybe I'll focus mainly on backwards. After watching a Cybex video I realize I had it on the highest resistance which seems like it should be the opposite when reading the knobs. Guess I know why it was so hard and I couldn't last as long as expected.