Thread: San Diego Doctors Knowledgable About Spinal Cord Injuries

San Diego Doctors Knowledgable About Spinal Cord Injuries

Can anybody reccommend a doctor that really understands the idiosyncrasies of a spinal cord injured patient? Preferably at Scripps where I have my other Doctors, however, my insurance permits me to go elsewhere.

I need to find out what is causing my almost constant autonomic dysreflexia. Also, I want a doctor familiar with syrinx cysts on the spine.

If you're at Scripps, I would say Dr. Lobatz (I think that is how you spell his name?).
    Very good, very knowledgable.
    If you can go out of network, and actually get in to see him, I would also recommend Dr. Stenehjem at Sharp rehab.
    Don't know what might be causing that to happen? Are you dealing with this due to the cyst? Or did you sustain a SCI injury? At what level is you lesion?
    SCI Boot Camp

I can't recommend anyone in the Scripps system of care, but at Sharp Healthcare I can recommend the following:

Amy Magnusson, MD
    Jerome Stenehjem, MD
    Walter Strausser, MD

You might also want to consider Carla Young, MD.

(KLD)

Maybe you have already been to one or both of these guys...?
    SCI Boot Camp

Thank both of you for your responses. I'm a C-6 quad from a diving accident 26 years ago. I saw Dr. Stenehjem for the first 10-15 years after my injury and would love more than anything to be able to see him. However, I've attempted several times over the past two years and I'm always told that he isn't taking anymore new patients. (I guess too much time has passed for me to be considered as one of his existing patients).

I'm familiar with Dr. Strauser, but he isn't taking anymore patients either.

If you have any ideas of different approaches I could use to be seen by either of them, I would appreciate it.

I will contact the other Doctors listed tomorrow.

I really need to see somebody soon, I've been home ridden, with much of that time in bed for the past two weeks. My symptoms are starting to scare me. I don't want to be more messed up with a stroke.

*KLD I'm glad you responded. I was trying to figure out how to contact you directly.

Amy Magnussen is the BEST. Don't waste your time with Lobatz, unless he gained a ton of knowledge in the last few years. Our experience with him was less than great!