Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: currenet chair and demo chair

currenet chair and demo chair

the first is the demo chair its 18 lenght thebacks of my knees rub the upholstry

heres my current chair its 18 we cut inch and ahalf off the cush and shortened the upolsrtry to keep it fom rubbing my backs of legs and i measured the actual upholstry after folding it back it 15 inches the cush is measured at 16 after notchung the corners a inch and ahalf and cramming it way back in the chair sometimes its so far back it hits therelease on the foding back so im thinkin i need a 16 inch depth chair

would the jetstream or adi eat up much depth

to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I don't know about the other mounts, but the ADI CF back with the fixed elite hardware DOESN'T stick out from backrest, if anything the center is between the backpost sitting a little deeper than fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I don't know about the other mounts, but the ADI CF back with the fixed elite hardware DOESN'T stick out from backrest, if anything the center is between the backpost sitting a little deeper than fabric.

what about the length isnt the first pic to tight ive always read on here you need at least 2 inches from back of knee to cushion

im not positive if im gettin a difrent bak or not mainly concerned about the seat length

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    what about the length isnt the first pic to tight ive always read on here you need at least 2 inches from back of knee to cushion

im not positive if im gettin a difrent bak or not mainly concerned about the seat length
    2 fingers, not 2 inches. You defintely don't want to rub against the back of your knees.

Wow, I'm really shocked that the DME wanted to order a length that he already knows is too long! Or is this a result of him assuming the hard back is going to be eating up seat length?

Though it seems extremely common about DME's recommending chairs that are too big. When I was measured, he said I was between 15 and 16 and either width could fit me and asked if I wanted to go with 15 and side guards for a bit of a squeeze. I said yes, since my weight goes up and down and I was up at the time. I don't think my weight has gone down much if any since then, and I could easily fit a 14. But I do like that I can stick my netbook in its neoprene sleeve and then between my hip and the sideguard easily. So I'm happy with the 15, but I would have been pissed if I'd gone with the 16.

I have a Jay 3 back and it doesn't use up any of my seat depth. I have a 4 inch rigidizer bar, but the hardware has it about dead between the back posts. The rigidizer bar bugs me sometimes because it sticks out too far for me to put a backpack over it, and I can only fit small bags between the back and the bar. But I guess that could be fixed if I didn't keep the cog so tippy. I use storage under the seat (and my netbook in the seat) and want to get a bigger under storage thing.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    2 fingers, not 2 inches. You defintely don't want to rub against the back of your knees.

does that look like to big of gap in the second pic to you

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    does that look like to big of gap in the second pic to you
    can't really tell, if you like tucking legs under to get a shorter overall chair length, you'll have to be a little shorter seat. You want as much of your leg resting on the cushion as possible without being pressed against the back of your calves to help distribute your weight. Being cushions only come in 1" increments, sometimes personal preference comes into play. I'm in between 15 and 16 seat, so I order a 15" seat chair +2" frame(for TiLite) and use a 16" cushion, that way the cushion has some give and I don't have to modify the sling(I've done that on a coupole other chairs, though). If you go with a rigid back, you can slide cushion under back if it's a little long, too.
    That's another plus of the Icon, indefinite adjustability, not confined to 1/2-1" increments.
    Last edited by jschism; 05-10-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: add

how bout 17 deep and have TiLite add a Inch to the length?

Quote Originally Posted by BobMach View Post
    how bout 17 deep and have TiLite add a Inch to the length?

thats a good idea thanks

I'd like to see you sit just a little deeper in your chair; about to where your fingertip is in the middle of the axel.

If you are keeping the same frame angle, yours looks pretty good. Your legs are tucked in and the feet are well supported on the footrest. A solid seatpan will keep the height and cushion constant. With a sling, as we all know, eventually sags and things aren't the same, for me anyway.

If you are thinking solid back, make sure to check the 4" ridgidizer bar. I usually order the solid back separately; then if I don't like it, I have the sling, that came with the chair, to put on.

For frame length, if you want that extra inch before the bend go for it. I like that extra inch myself to help with the transfers but an extra two is too long imo. The extension puts the front wheels out an inch and makes the front end more stable, without sacraficing COG to get that same front end stability. Others like the chair short as can be and take the reg. frame length.

You're sitting really well. If you moved your back angle forward one hole, I think you would sit with your back straighter.

This Tr is going to fit you like a glove. Like Lin said; if it's a matter of a half inch difference, go the the smaller size.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 05-10-2012 at 07:56 PM.