Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have A Quickie Q7 Need Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    Lin lets just say YOU have NO idea what you are talking about MOST of the time!! yes there is a way to change it go back and edit your post!! i do it all the time!! no suggestions as i do not have a Q7 and would not own one after my first and only expierence with quickie, I have a TiLite and love it.

I would prefer to have a ZRA but my insurance won't pay for that so I figured this is the next best option.

SCI_OTR is one of the resident experts He does this for a living at a VA hospital. When I was doing the final fitting with my Q7 I showed my seating guy some of the messages from SCI (on my smartphone) about how I wanted things configured.

If your goal is an ultralightweight open frame/cantilever chair, there are also some nice ones from Top End/Invacare. There is also the Tilite Aero Z which is an aluminum K5 chair (the ZRA would be a titanium k9 chair, the Q7 is a K5). Those are the top 3 brands but there are others as well. Colours is pretty popular as well. Its good to look at as many chairs as you can and find the one that best works for your needs. The Q7 best worked for mine and I love it to death.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    SCI_OTR is one of the resident experts He does this for a living at a VA hospital. When I was doing the final fitting with my Q7 I showed my seating guy some of the messages from SCI (on my smartphone) about how I wanted things configured.

If your goal is an ultralightweight open frame/cantilever chair, there are also some nice ones from Top End/Invacare. There is also the Tilite Aero Z which is an aluminum K5 chair (the ZRA would be a titanium k9 chair, the Q7 is a K5). Those are the top 3 brands but there are others as well. Colours is pretty popular as well. Its good to look at as many chairs as you can and find the one that best works for your needs. The Q7 best worked for mine and I love it to death.
    That is good to know thanks

I have a TiLite AeroZ, and love it.

Personally I would avoid a Q7 - 7000 series aluminum is not all it's cracked up to be by marketing (pun intended). Q7's ARE light weight, but achieving a few pounds of weight savings with compromised fabrication methodology (IMO) is not a good choice. I would rather have a slightly heavier, but sturdy, chair.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 05-09-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

On my Q7, I have 2" inset and 6" castors. My DME ordered my frame with the castor setting 2 and it came with castor setting 1. We were both shocked and disappointed. I hit my castors on everything. I always feel like I am just a little too far away from things.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TiRods View Post
    On my Q7, I have 2" inset and 6" castors. My DME ordered my frame with the castor setting 2 and it came with castor setting 1. We were both shocked and disappointed. I hit my castors on everything. I always feel like I am just a little too far away from things.
    That is what I'm afraid of. The chair I have now just barely fits through all the doorways in my house with no room to spare. I can't have castors that stick out really wide.

If you need to get close to objects for transfers you may wish to consider the TiLite AeroZ w flip up footrests. In some cases you can get another inch or 2 closer for transfers and your insurance will probably pay for the Aero Z. The downside of flip up footrests is you can't use a Freewheel.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I have a TiLite AeroZ, and love it.

Personally I would avoid a Q7 - 7000 series aluminum is not all it's cracked up to be by marketing (pun intended). Q7's ARE light weight, but achieving a few pounds of weight savings with compromised fabrication methodology (IMO) is not a good choice. I would rather have a slightly heavier, but sturdy, chair.
    I keep hearing that from the Ti Lite lovers but I just dont believe it until I see it personally.

Ive had a Q7 for quiet a few months now and I dont know how much "sturdier" it could possibly be.

What, exactly, is wrong with this aluminum?

I do NOT like the caster setting (the "wide" setting) on my chair though. its dangerous and will kick you out forward at the slightest change of surface. Im actually surprised Sunrise Medical hasnt tried to be sued over this yet in fact.

To answer the OPs question though, I have the 1.5X4" softroll casters.

Quote Originally Posted by ryano View Post
    I keep hearing that from the Ti Lite lovers but I just dont believe it until I see it personally.

Ive had a Q7 for quiet a few months now and I dont know how much "sturdier" it could possibly be.

What, exactly, is wrong with this aluminum?
    When the Q7 was first introduced, it was presented as compatible with power assist, which puts extra stress on the front frame and caster mounts because of the forward rolling assistance (when going over obstacles such as thresholds). Then on CCC I saw rumors of cracked frames with power assist. Suddenly (and quietly about 6 months after its introduction) the Q7 order form added this note:
    Attachment 44838

I deduced that 7000 aluminum is not as sturdy as 6000 (at least when used in thin-wall tubing to save weight).

Having studied strengths of materials (I'm an engineer), I know a brittle material breaks suddenly with very little (if any) warning, while flexible materials have some give to reduce/warn-of breakage (like an airplane wing or a bridge). I deduce that 7000 aluminum is more brittle than 6000. (These strengths are more complex/detailed, but I won't post a strength-of-materials primer.)

One significant advantage of titanium over aluminum is that titanium has no bending fatigue (it flexes repeatedly with no molecular damage). Aluminum experiences bending fatigue, thus the 5-yr life expectancy on wheelchair frames, and 30-yr? life expectancy on airplane skins. So, titanium frames don't wear out; 6000Al frames flex but eventually wear out, and will break under heavy stress; 7000Al frames flex and wear out, but break suddenly under moderate stress. If 7000Al were fabricated the with same thicknesses as 6000Al, they would probably perform equally well, but then 7000Al would have no weight advantage.

So, without math, that's exactly whats 'wrong' with 7000 series aluminum in wheelchair frames. It's not wrong, just less sturdy than 6000Al frames (IMO).

My guesses are that manufacturers are gambling most users will not over stress their 7000Al chairs, and Sunrise hedged that bet by not approving use of PA on the Q7.

My AeroZ1 (with wheels) is about 5.5# (30%) heavier than a comparably configured Q7. Weight is not an issue for me, and power assist is likely in my future (my AeroZ is reinforced for it). So that's why I'm sensitive about the Q7.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 05-10-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I am gonna chime in here. As I have a Q7. ok first off let me say I am lucky if I have a months use on my Q7. I have front caster housing flex. and stress in the metal on mine. so maybe the Q7 is for not so active users. my insurance is sending me back in for another seating eval. the Q7 is a nice looking chair. i'll give it that. but for me its just not working! frame stress and caster housing stress is not what I call good metal. to each their own. for me I will not own another quickie chair as long as I am alive. frustration does not even explain how I feel.