Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have A Quickie Q7 Need Suggestions

Anyone Have A Quickie Q7 Need Suggestions

What are the best castors to get on the Q7? I've heard the castors are a main problem with this chair and I just want to make sure I get the right ones.

I think you've misheard, I think the complaint you're thinking of is the positioning of the caster wings being too wide. Not an issue with casters. What casters a person gets is up to them, there are no "quickie q7" casters.

I have 5x1.5 primo casters. I'd like to upgrade to 5x1.4 frog leg soft rolls whenever I have the money.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I think you've misheard, I think the complaint you're thinking of is the positioning of the caster wings being too wide. Not an issue with casters. What casters a person gets is up to them, there are no "quickie q7" casters.

I have 5x1.5 primo casters. I'd like to upgrade to 5x1.4 frog leg soft rolls whenever I have the money.
    Excuse me I don't know all the specifics when it comes to wheelchairs. I worded that wrong, but yes I was talking about the width. Is there any way to change that?

No. There is a selection of 2 caster positions when you order the chair, position 1 is further out (wider) than position 2. The front frame inset of your chair makes a difference with what caster position is selected, I think its that if you have 2 inches of inset you must go with caster position 1. I have 1 inch of inset and caster position 2 on my chair. Quickie chairs don't allow any changes to the design the way you can pay for modifications under tilite's designs unlimited plan. So if you already have your chair, there is nothing you can do to change the caster wing position. (barring voiding your warranty and having someone cut and reweld your chair, but even that really isn't an option due to the 7000 series aluminum used for the Q7) If you're ordering your chair, then you need to discuss with your DME about which combination of caster wing placement and frame inset works best for your needs.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    No. There is a selection of 2 caster positions when you order the chair, position 1 is further out (wider) than position 2...If you're ordering your chair, then you need to discuss with your DME about which combination of caster wing placement and frame inset works best for your needs.
    Whoaaa!!

Don't simply assume the DME is going to be knowledgeable about the Q7. The Q7 has been on the market for a few years now, they have reached revision "J" of the order form, yet a glaring error continues to appear about the caster housing you get with 2" of frame inset.

Setting 1 -- Suggested for 3" & 4" casters.
    For 2" Inset all casters use Setting 2
    Let there be no doubt, with 2" of frame inset you will get Caster Setting 1 (the less swept back position).

Make certain they have a realization of this before you have any discussion with them about caster housing settings. If the DME doesn't know this and your discussion is based on the info provided on the order form, there will be disappointment if yo think you will get Setting 2 with 2" of frame inset.

If it were my new chair and the casters were out farther than I expected, I'd be upset. If a chair I ordered for someone came in with a different caster housng location than I had had told them, I'd also be upset. How hard could it be to change the order form to indicate...

Setting 1 -- Suggested for 3" & 4" casters. For 2" Inset all casters use Setting 1
    That statement reflects reality. The DME spec'ing the chair must realize that in order to have any meaningful discussion. Only then does one have the necessary information to decide whether the more swept back caster housing might be worth any trade offs associated with a less-tapered front frame ("inset").

For example, if I needed the longer "Classic" frame becuase it was essential for me to have some tubing in front of the upholstery to transfer or perfrom weight shifts, I may forego having 2" of inset. Caster Setting 1 could mean a very long wheelbase with a Classic frame.

If I don't know that information, or the infomration on the order form is worng, then I can never have the inset-vs-caster setting-vs-frame length discussion.

A couple of years ago, the product manager for Quickie's custom manual line told me I was the only one he knew who interpreted the order form like I just described.

For me, it is disappointing to think that so few dealers have complained that it is still a non-issue for Sunrise. What I find to be a little depressing, however, is that so few end users have voiced their dissatisfaction about getting a wheelchair with a catser housing location that wasn't where they expected.

Don't get me wrong. Caster Setting 1 works great for many users, but I know it isn't great for everyone. I also know there are some Q7 users out there who thought they would be getting Setting 2 because someone simply based the selection on the information that appears on the order form.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 05-09-2012 at 09:05 PM.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the DME is going to be an expert on the Q7. I had to show my DME how to adjust things to allow the last hole in the back selection to be selected so he would know for the next Q7 user. I just meant that since you must get caster setting 1 with 2 inches of inset, it needs to be determined if 2 inches of inset with caster setting 1 or 1 inch of inset with caster setting 2 works best. Thats not something that can be answered by me or anyone else here without more information, thats something that is going to be determined by the individual user and therefor both selections need to be considered instead of just how wide the caster positioning is going to be on the chair.

I also wasn't entirely sure and was going off memory of reading your threads in reference to caster selection 1 being overridden when 2 inches of inset is selected. Since I only have 1 inch of inset, it wasn't something that came up for me.

There is nothing wrong with my post, the only thing is that SCI read an unintentional implied comment. So I clarified that was not intentional and apologized. I've offered plenty of help here, and when I don't know what I'm talking about I don't speak. If I'm not entirely sure, I mention that as well. Just like above where I said I "think" when you have 2 inches of inset you're forced to get caster position one.

As for

I believe this thread was asking for Q7 users

You stated exactly what the caster setting/frame inset issues are, but the order form says something completely different. My point was that what you described accurately isn't common knowledge. If the DME doesn't understand that and go strictly by what appears on the order form, they will have inaccurate information.

Ok, thanks SCI. I took the "don't assume" too literally.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Whoaaa!!

Don't simply assume the DME is going to be knowledgeable about the Q7. The Q7 has been on the market for a few years now, they have reached revision "J" of the order form, yet a glaring error continues to appear about the caster housing you get with 2" of frame inset.

Let there be no doubt, with 2" of frame inset you will get Caster Setting 1 (the less swept back position).

Make certain they have a realization of this before you have any discussion with them about caster housing settings. If the DME doesn't know this and your discussion is based on the info provided on the order form, there will be disappointment if yo think you will get Setting 2 with 2" of frame inset.

If it were my new chair and the casters were out farther than I expected, I'd be upset. If a chair I ordered for someone came in with a different caster housng location than I had had told them, I'd also be upset. How hard could it be to change the order form to indicate...

That statement reflects reality. The DME spec'ing the chair must realize that in order to have any meaningful discussion. Only then does one have the necessary information to decide whether the more swept back caster housing might be worth any trade offs associated with a less-tapered front frame ("inset").

For example, if I needed the longer "Classic" frame becuase it was essential for me to have some tubing in front of the upholstery to transfer or perfrom weight shifts, I may forego having 2" of inset. Caster Setting 1 could mean a very long wheelbase with a Classic frame.

If I don't know that information, or the infomration on the order form is worng, then I can never have the inset-vs-caster setting-vs-frame length discussion.

A couple of years ago, the product manager for Quickie's custom manual line told me I was the only one he knew who interpreted the order form like I just described.

For me, it is disappointing to think that so few dealers have complained that it is still a non-issue for Sunrise. What I find to be a little depressing, however, is that so few end users have voiced their dissatisfaction about getting a wheelchair with a catser housing location that wasn't where they expected.

Don't get me wrong. Caster Setting 1 works great for many users, but I know it isn't great for everyone. I also know there are some Q7 users out there who thought they would be getting Setting 2 because someone simply based the selection on the information that appears on the order form.
    Wow you know what you are talking about. I wish I had you with me when I go to order my chair. I will print this out though. I need to be as close as possible to the car when transferring so that is why I asked this question. I'm totally clueless when it comes to wheelchairs.