Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Chairs @ the NY Abilities Expo.......

NEW Chairs @ the NY Abilities Expo.......

Had a chance to check and demo several chairs at the NY Abilities Expo this past weekend including the Icon. Saw and rode some nice chairs and saw some others that weren't so nice that i didnt care to even sit in. Thought i would share some opinions...........

First the Icon.
    Saw Jeff @ Icon, pretty much shot straight over there as soon as i got through the Expo doors. Got through all the pleasantries, etc, etc. with Jeff & his trusted side kick Misha then jumped straight down to the floor and started giving the Icon a thorough examination. Listened to Jeff for a second as he was explaining a 2nd chair (they had 3 chairs including Jeff's) to another customer. Jeff was great, he pretty much cut me loose & let me have my way with the chair while he talked with other interested riders. Sat in it, rode it a bit, didnt like it, got out of it again and went to work adjusting it to fit me. Here is where i have to apologize to Jeff because while i was doing all this I apparently started stealing a little of his thunder as i un-intentionally went into salesmen mode morphing into Jeff Adams himself explaining the chair to others as they stopped by while i was making my own adjustments, sorry Jeff. I didnt realize i was doing this until my buddy told me this later with a laugh. Total adjusting time in between running my big mouth, 7-8 mins. I changed COG, fron t & rear seat height and back rest angle and off i went. And ride I did, I had the chair for over an hour and was surprised Jeff didnt send security out looking for me. This chair is much easier & simpler to adjust than my Marvel. You can make all the adjustments to the chair without taking the wheels off, flipping it over etc etc. It was fast, simple and trouble free. The new straight, hump free prototype front wing is a good fit and much more appealing TO ME and if i understood correctly there will be 2 to choose from. It was a nice smooth ride and a effortless push. I do regret not taking the chair outside and hopping a few curbs to test the suspension, by my current suspension chair experience and the personal "technical dissection" of the Icon told me it will work as its designed too. Solid back was nice and for me would be a must, i rode both the carbon fiber & the laminate seat pan chairs and noticed no difference in weight (more on weight later). What I liked the most was the back rest angle adjustment, it can all be done on the fly while ur riding which is what i did. Not so favorite was the side guards which i thought were a tad to long and held me up a little bit for a from floor to chair transfer . I'm sure with time I would be able to work around it as with all new chairs. As we all know, Jeff & Christian are always quick to respond to a users observations. It's a good chair, its new, its fresh and its in its early stages and i am sure it will continue to evolve into a great chair. Knowing Jeff & Christian's past dedication to building an innovative chair, they did not disappoint with the Icon. I had someone take some photos of me with the chair but as i found out when i returned home, some people still don't know how to operate a digital camera........

The TiLite TR3.......
    I liked the new TR3, the one i took for a spin was highly optioned, Tattoo'ed, CF camber tube, adj strap seat sling, anodized treatment, CF side guards and the New TiLite wheels. I'm guessing $6000.00 chair in its current condition. If i remember correctly the wheel option was 900.00? I liked the adjustable COG, for me thats a must in a wheelchair. Not sure how i feel about the Uni-Tine forks, are these prone to hi speed caster flutter? My COG setting never seems to feel the same from one chair to another. Salesman told me this would hit the market in late June, early July. Real nice chair, this would be my pick for a box frame chair. I am really interested to see how SportAid prices out this chair.

Colours.............
    Can you say BLING BLING. Might get excited about Colours if i was 16. BUT, i did see alot of riders in various Colours Chairs at the show, seems to be a popular chair. Rode one, good ride, nothing special or exciting here. I must say they did have a interesting outdoor prototype called Bigfoot. It looks similar to the Top Ends All Terrain but with a dual shock, four link independent rear suspension. Too bad the NitWit Colours staff knew nothing about the chair. Apparently it was just put together in time for the show. I actually had to explain to them what the knobs on the shock were for. Also, valve for the shock was up against the four link and would be very difficult if not impossible in its current configuration to attach a shock pump. To much air in the shocks so i could not really test the suspension. Notice the cheap steel ready for rust hardware in the photos. Took it for a spin, HUGE chair, dont see this one making it in & out of ones back door regularly or around inside the house. Intriguing still for someone who spends alot of time outdoors in a rugged environment.

I will get to the Panthera & Quickie Chairs and a few other observations in another post.

Bob, wow great report. The TR looks great though I'm not into those wheels. If I was getting a new TR I would like to have the TR3. My current COG is so far back though I don't know if I could get the round frame. Icon arrives soon anyway so it's a moot point. I am a little concerned hearing you mention caster flutter with the SS forks. Jeff has mentioned some flutter problems with some people's chairs. If I remember right he said they tightened down more and it seem to be a fix. I really don't want flutter. Lived with if for years with one chair and it drove me nuts.

I like what you said about Colours. Yeah, if you're sixteen ;-) Although I think I'd still like to take a Colours Hammer for a ride. Banging into to stuff with that could be fun.

Really curious to see what you thought of the Panthera and the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Bob, wow great report. The TR looks great though I'm not into those wheels. If I was getting a new TR I would like to have the TR3. My current COG is so far back though I don't know if I could get the round frame. Icon arrives soon anyway so it's a moot point. I am a little concerned hearing you mention caster flutter with the SS forks. Jeff has mentioned some flutter problems with some people's chairs. If I remember right he said they tightened down more and it seem to be a fix. I really don't want flutter. Lived with if for years with one chair and it drove me nuts.

I like what you said about Colours. Yeah, if you're sixteen ;-) Although I think I'd still like to take a Colours Hammer for a ride. Banging into to stuff with that could be fun.

Really curious to see what you thought of the Panthera and the pics.
    i didnt get any caster flutter in Icon, fired up the shoulders as best i could with out hurting anyone. with all the people around i wasn't able to get to my regular traveling warp speed either.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMach View Post
    i didnt get any caster flutter in Icon, fired up the shoulders as best i could with out hurting anyone. with all the people around i wasn't able to get to my regular traveling warp speed either.
    I want shoulders like yours. Mine suck. Well, if I do things a little smarter they do get better but I can't life heavy weights in the gym anymore, it just seems like one too many things to ask of them. Lighter weights and painfree pushing sounds better to me. Good pictures by the way and thanks again for the show report, really enjoying it.

Great report Bob! Keep it coming when you can, please.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Bob,

It was a real pleasure meeting you on the weekend, and feel free to drop by our booth anytime and explain the Icon.

Christian and I both LOVE it when people get it and can explain it to each other.

Thanks for dropping by and spending time in the booth and in the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMach View Post
    Not sure how i feel about the Uni-Tine forks, are these prone to hi speed caster flutter?
    I haven't had any problems with flutter. This past weekend I was at an event rolling around in a skate park and going pretty fast at times, never had a flutter.
    Most everything I say is

Very nice report.

As far as Uni-tine goes, my next chair will have the standard fork. I like the look of the Uni but I have run into a few real world problems. The first is electrical cords, whether it be the vacuum, the shark mop or whatever, I always seem to be unwrapping the cord out as it slips over the top of the wheel and around the axle.

Second is clothes, if there is a shirt or what not laying on the floor (usually next to bed in AM after undressing at night) when I back-up and wheel pivots and rotates I find myself having to unwrap whatever out of the wheel.

Other than that I love them, no flutter.

Thanks fellas. Ill get my other NY observations up soon.
    Good to know about the UniTines they do look nice but is there any real advantages other looks.

electric cords do suck do, vacuuming blows and i usually save that lil task for the girlfriend, i do the cooking so its a good trade off. although i now see Tyson has a cordless rechargable "WeedWhacker" design vacuum, that innovation is way over due.

Jeff, it was great to finally meet you, Micha and the Icon, like i said earlier if your ever in the Philly area pushing the Icon gimme a shout and ill help ya out.

I don't know if it is the geometry of my chair AND the Uni-Tines or just the Uni-tine fork but my cupboards and other wood work around the house have had less damage (much less) since using them.