Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Part-time wheelchair user

Thanks Coleen. I guess I need to just get over the fact that people will never truly understand.

Part-time user here. The more people see us out in the world, the more they will understand how part-time chair use works. Not too long ago people who needed chairs part-time just refused to get them and suffered on foot until they couldn't walk at all anymore, or stayed at home where no one could see them "out of pride" (ie shame at their disability). The only w/c users AB folk saw out in the world were full-time users with SCI/spina bifida/CP, so the image came that if you're in a w/c, you can't walk. People like you and Lin and others who are out in the world defying that stereotype are benefiting ALL part-time wheelers so that someday they WILL understand. So thank you!

My partner says I never smile when I'm using my cane. I'm much bubblier and happy when I'm wheeling with less pain. It really does make a difference, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pg2005 View Post
    Thanks Coleen. I guess I need to just get over the fact that people will never truly understand.
    And try to get over caring. Other people will think what they think, just smile and go about your business.

I admit I'm a bit uptight, OCD-type personality and someone who was always concerned about "fitting in." Gahhhh! Gotta get over that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pg2005 View Post
    I admit I'm a bit uptight, OCD-type personality and someone who was always concerned about "fitting in." Gahhhh! Gotta get over that!
    Everything's better once you do :-).

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Gosh, I don't know. Probably because I can't walk and people never see me without my chair.
    I would not be in my chair if I dint HAVE to

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. If I go to a big store like Walmart or Home Depot I have to use an electric cart. I feel embarrassed because I look healthy otherwise. I am afraid of running into people I used to work with. Mostly because I don't want them feeling sorry for me - I see the looks of teenagers and cashiers.

I also travel quite a bit for work. I wish I didn't need to board planes first and have everyone watch.

I guess it's all motivation to keep trying.