Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't you hate it when you call your Dr. office and you can't get it in.

Don't you hate it when you call your Dr. office and you can't get it in.

In my case it was my dentists office. I chipped my tooth on thursday and called my dentists office on thursday but only reached the answering machine. So I call this morning and the guy who I guess is the new front desk person tells me there are no openings until the 21st of May. I tried to explain to him that he should ask the dentist if he can squeeze me in but he said "no, we're all backed up, since we were gone all last week for a dental convention." Since my tooth doesn't look to bad I agreed on the 21st, but then I remembered my brother has an appointment today, so I figured I'll go with him and try to speak with dentist myself. I get to the office and this bitch is still telling me no, I pleaded with him to give the dentist a message, but still no. Ok, so my next plan was to wait until I see my dentist and then call him over. While I was waiting, the hygeniest comes over to say hi and I tell her my situation and she said she'll ask the doctor if he can squeeze me in. I could hear the desk guy tell her we're filled but she told him she's still going to ask if the doc can see me. A few minutes later, my doctor comes out to see me and he explains that he's booked up, but can get me in tomorrow - Yay! He goes over to the front desk and tells desk boy to book me for tomorrow. I could tell he was pissed that I got to speak to the dentist and that I got an earlier appointment. I really wasn't expecting to get in today because I could tell by the waiting room that he was busy, all I wanted was an earlier appointment.

I hate when people don't try to help you out in situations like this. This isn't the first time I've had a dental emergency, but the sweet woman that worked there before this guy would always go ask the dentist and he always said "yes" to squeezing me in. So, if your told "no" - go and speak to the doctor or dentist yourself and maybe you'll get in sooner.

maybe you should look into getting a different dentist. He seems to be overly busy which is a surprise since most dentists are languishing right now. There are plenty of dentists who are desperate for and would jump at the chance to get a new patient.

In hard times like these, dentistry is one of the things people let go too long and you can bet there are plenty of dentists who can see you tomorrow.

If you do decide to switch dentists, be sure to write a note to the dentist about why you are changing. Front office people are representing him and no dentist would put up with a person at the desk who chases people away. Even if you don't move to another dentist, write that note anyway.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    maybe you should look into getting a different dentist. He seems to be overly busy which is a surprise since most dentists are languishing right now. There are plenty of dentists who are desperate for and would jump at the chance to get a new patient.

In hard times like these, dentistry is one of the things people let go too long and you can bet there are plenty of dentists who can see you tomorrow.

If you do decide to switch dentists, be sure to write a note to the dentist about why you are changing. Front office people are representing him and no dentist would put up with a person at the desk who chases people away. Even if you don't move to another dentist, write that note anyway.
    I thought about telling my dentist that his desk person wasn't very helpful. Is their a policy that dentists will squeeze you in if there's an emergency such as a chipped tooth. I probably shouldn't have assumed that I could be seen today but I did because I did it before when I chipped my tooth. My dentist himself told me he doesn't want me running around with a chipped tooth and thats why he would usually get me in the same day. I don't think I'll change because I love my dentists work and he's really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I thought about telling my dentist that his desk person wasn't very helpful. Is their a policy that dentists will squeeze you in if there's an emergency such as a chipped tooth. I probably shouldn't have assumed that I could be seen today but I did because I did it before when I chipped my tooth. My dentist himself told me he doesn't want me running around with a chipped tooth and thats why he would usually get me in the same day. I don't think I'll change because I love my dentists work and he's really nice.
    Then by all means tell your dentist the difficulty you had with the new receptionist. I don't think any doctor wants a stonewall for a receptionist. Maybe your dentist can make his new receptionist understand how he wants his patients treated.

All the best,
    GJ

You should have "accidentally" punched him in the mouth and then said, "Oh sorry about that, too bad you're gonna have to wait 2-3 weeks to get that tooth looked at." And then whisper, "If you tooth gets fixed before mine, you'll lose two more."

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    In my case it was my dentists office. I chipped my tooth on thursday and called my dentists office on thursday but only reached the answering machine. So I call this morning and the guy who I guess is the new front desk person tells me there are no openings until the 21st of May. I tried to explain to him that he should ask the dentist if he can squeeze me in but he said "no, we're all backed up, since we were gone all last week for a dental convention." Since my tooth doesn't look to bad I agreed on the 21st, but then I remembered my brother has an appointment today, so I figured I'll go with him and try to speak with dentist myself. I get to the office and this bitch is still telling me no, I pleaded with him to give the dentist a message, but still no. Ok, so my next plan was to wait until I see my dentist and then call him over. While I was waiting, the hygeniest comes over to say hi and I tell her my situation and she said she'll ask the doctor if he can squeeze me in. I could hear the desk guy tell her we're filled but she told him she's still going to ask if the doc can see me. A few minutes later, my doctor comes out to see me and he explains that he's booked up, but can get me in tomorrow - Yay! He goes over to the front desk and tells desk boy to book me for tomorrow. I could tell he was pissed that I got to speak to the dentist and that I got an earlier appointment. I really wasn't expecting to get in today because I could tell by the waiting room that he was busy, all I wanted was an earlier appointment.
    Sounds like the receptionist is on a power trip. I would completely forget the unpleasantness and be glad you have the appointment.
    Daniel

i actually thought this was a sex question....
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

One of the advantages of small towns is getting to know everyone. My dentist gave me his cell phone number and told me if I had a problem anytime, night or day, to give him a call. I have not had the need to use it but it feels good knowing he's there if I need him.

Good luck with your broke toophy.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

If your dentist is the person he seems to be, I think he would want to know that the receptionist is deciding for him who gets in and who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    i actually thought this was a sex question....
    HA! First smile I've had on this forum in a long time.