Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice - being towed by bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    The entire experience would be immeasurably enhanced by the addition of a Freewheel! Once you feel it, particularly with an air shock underneath you, it is a real eye opening experience. The added wheelbase and caster size create an evolutionary leap in the capability of a manual chair.
    You are swaying me. I worry about carrying the extra weight but if I have it attached, I won't be feeling the weight. I just paid out of pocket for my Icon yesterday. I can't buy anything new right now but you are making me think. Even with the FreeWheel though I would still need a way to hold on to my friend's bike.

I am thinking of something like a kids wagon handle that attaches to the back. If you let go, it would not tangle up in the wheels. I think you will have better control with a rigid connection that will not bend if the bike starts to slow down. You can brace against it and slow yourself.

A true story. When I was in college a quad and a para were out doing some heavy drinking one night. The quad was a marginal wheeler to begin with but he was too drunk to wheel at all that night when it was time to head back to the dorm. Sam, the para, took the belt from his pants and the quad's and linked them together. He then tied one end to the frame of the quad's wheelchair and tied the other end on the push handle on his chair. He towed the quad about halfway to the dorm that way, having to lean forward to keep his chair from going over backward. When they were about halfway a police car pulled up and stopped them because they were on the street. When they got the story, after they stopped laughing, one of the cops pushed the quad the rest of the way while the other followed in the car. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

SCI, A rigid handle is what I've been thinking for just the reason you mentioned. Sometimes he has to brake suddenly and I start swinging out, not good. Hm, I wonder what kind of search on Ebay I should do to find something like this.

On the chair towing chair story, yeah I've done that. Out with a girlfriend one day for a late afternoon ferry ride across the bay. It was beautiful. When we got back her chair died (power) and I towed her with mine. I was using a powerchair then too. I wish people wouldn't laugh and sigh and say how cute it is. People are pretty bad with my friend and I when he tows me. I try to ignore it but I notice.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I used to tow 3 or 4 elderly men in manual chairs with my powerchair when I was in VA nursing home. I used to deliver them to each of their rooms after functions. Everyone smiled as we passed by.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    SCI, A rigid handle is what I've been thinking for just the reason you mentioned. Sometimes he has to brake suddenly and I start swinging out, not good. Hm, I wonder what kind of search on Ebay I should do to find something like this.

On the chair towing chair story, yeah I've done that. Out with a girlfriend one day for a late afternoon ferry ride across the bay. It was beautiful. When we got back her chair died (power) and I towed her with mine. I was using a powerchair then too. I wish people wouldn't laugh and sigh and say how cute it is. People are pretty bad with my friend and I when he tows me. I try to ignore it but I notice.
    No problem. They actually sell bicycle tow bars. I saw one going down my street a while back.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/11065188?a...0&wl4=&wl5=pla

Thanks for the link but I'm looking for something I can carry in my bag, hook on and take with me when I'm done hanging on.

Thanks for the link but I'm looking for something I can carry in my bag, hook on and take with me when I'm done hanging on.
    How about something like this?
    http://www.sausagemaker.com/49327pla...andlehook.aspx

(Although I think your cycling friend would appreciate if you got rid of the sharp pointed end before trying it out!)

I used to have one with a wooden handle, and a normal hook. The tool was used for pulling on rope loops or rings on a swimming pool cover. I think it was probably handmade, so a quick trip to any hardware shop would get you the two bits needed to make one yourself.

Advantage is that you are in control, and can unhook yourself at any time (hopefully not dropping the thing into the back wheel of the bike!).

Agree with the freewheel suggestions...

Hope that helps!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Why not consider things that could be left on the bicycle? It would give you more options. If it were me, I would head for Lowes or Home Depot and look for some plastic or aluminum tubing and some other odds and ends that I could fashion something out of. To fit in your bag, a telescoping handle is something I would look into for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    How about something like this?
    http://www.sausagemaker.com/49327pla...andlehook.aspx

(Although I think your cycling friend would appreciate if you got rid of the sharp pointed end before trying it out!)

I used to have one with a wooden handle, and a normal hook. The tool was used for pulling on rope loops or rings on a swimming pool cover. I think it was probably handmade, so a quick trip to any hardware shop would get you the two bits needed to make one yourself.

Advantage is that you are in control, and can unhook yourself at any time (hopefully not dropping the thing into the back wheel of the bike!).

Agree with the freewheel suggestions...

Hope that helps!
    Gordy, thanks for the idea. I would definitely need to take off that point but this still wouldn't give me the solid grip I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of something somewhat stiff so I don't go past him on the declines but that I can also take on and off. I appreciate all the ideas. Maybe we'll come up with something together.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Why not consider things that could be left on the bicycle? It would give you more options. If it were me, I would head for Lowes or Home Depot and look for some plastic or aluminum tubing and some other odds and ends that I could fashion something out of. To fit in your bag, a telescoping handle is something I would look into for starters.
    SCI_55 My friend owns eight or nine bicycles and takes different one out as his mood pleases. Since his vision became poor enough that he can't drive, he really became passionate about bicycles. I'm still hoping for something I can clip on and off. PVC is so handy, if I can think of how to use it, that might be the trick. It's all just a way to avoid me having to lean forward and hold on, it's so painful to my lowerback. But the tow home makes things so much easier I usually accept it. Maybe just a short stiff piece of rope somehow will do the job.