Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice - being towed by bicycle

Need advice - being towed by bicycle

Can anyone give me a good idea for a short tow piece I can use to hold on to my friend's bicycle? He really helps me out sometimes, giving me a tow home or most of the way. The problem is I have to lean forward to hold on to his bike and it really hurts my back.

I want to come up with something I can attach to his bike that gives me a foot or two but if I lose my grip won't get wrapped up in his rear wheel. I'm pretty good at ropework and I'm trying to think up ideas but I sure could use some help if anyone already has a solution or an idea.

Thinking of involving a retracting dog leash? So that you have a 2 foot length, that if you let go, retracts to a 4 inch plastic unit attached to his seat post?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Thinking of involving a retracting dog leash? So that you have a 2 foot length, that if you let go, retracts to a 4 inch plastic unit attached to his seat post?
    Hm, that's a good idea. I hold on with very little force, usually just two fingers unless we hit a slight uphill. I will have to check out some retractable dog leashes, see how small and light I can get one. Though thinking a little more I'm not sure I'd have the control I need. Sometimes he swerves a bit and I need some body English to stay attached, don't want to be like a water skiier :-) Good idea though, I'll check out the leashes. Thanks .

the pro way is for the helping rider to come along side and put their hand on the small of the back , the seat back of their ass, if you really like them.
    That is the way the hard core riders will help someone who is having trouble on getting up a steep hill, or difficulty on the ride, or just want to hold their ass under pretenses of a helping hand or a push up the hill.
    cauda equina

You don't get caster flutter at speed? Here are some dog/bike things someone recently recommended to me:

May be custom made, to go out far enough in front for a full grown dog, or out at the side of you for a younger dog.

http://arcticwolf.eu/products/bikejor-converter.html

The brush bow attached to this scooter, could work for you, again you may need to get it custom made.

http://www.dax-scooter.com/pages/fra...eset_order.htm

When or if you want the dog running out in front of you you might want to change to a pulling harness to some thing similar below.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Omnijore-Joring-System

this made me smile, got me thinking, back in the eighties I went to a show with friends, they had their german shepard with them and was holding him back, i said give me the lease, of course not realizing how strong he was, well he took off hauling butt and pulling me whereever he wanted, i finally had to let go right before i slammed into the side of a car, what a rush
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    the pro way is for the helping rider to come along side and put their hand on the small of the back , the seat back of their ass, if you really like them.
    That is the way the hard core riders will help someone who is having trouble on getting up a steep hill, or difficulty on the ride, or just want to hold their ass under pretenses of a helping hand or a push up the hill.
    I can't see how my friend who is high up, riding his bicycle, could reach down and push me from behind. He couldn't balance or steer. Are you kidding and I didn't realize it?

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    this made me smile, got me thinking, back in the eighties I went to a show with friends, they had their german shepard with them and was holding him back, i said give me the lease, of course not realizing how strong he was, well he took off hauling butt and pulling me whereever he wanted, i finally had to let go right before i slammed into the side of a car, what a rush
    :-) My friend is a bit heavyset. He's also visually impaired and does very well but a couple of times I've let go when I thought he was about to run me into something. The thing I can't get over is how little effort it takes for him to take me a couple of miles. He says he can't even feel I'm back there and for me to push myself just wears me out. Getting a tow from a bicycle is great.

With the summer coming and so many people out I've thought about asking a pretty girl for a tow with her bike. Not sure if they would just think I was weird. The thing is it really makes a huge difference for me when I'm trying to get home to get a tow.

Since you said you're pretty good at rope work, I'd suggest maybe braiding up some 550 para cord to attach to your friends bike and then attach a piece of shock/bungee cord to each end. The shock/bungee cord should be cut shorter than the para cord, so if you were to drop/let go of it, it would be able to quickly retract just enough not to get tangled up in any moving parts.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    grommet

I am wondering if you use a Freewheel. (Not sure how you would reach bicycle speeds without one).

You might check out how I hook up a tug line to my wheelchair for my dog to pull me (photos on my profile). I don't use a quick disconnect with my dog but I probably would want one if a bicycle were pulling me. (I can grab the wheels and stop my dog; not sure I could do that with a bicycle pulling me). The tug line stays connected to my wheelchair all the time and when I want the dog to pull me, I put on the Freewheel, slip the tug line through a ring that keeps the tug line from dropping down too low and then attach the tug line to the dog's harness.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete