Thread: Peripheral Nerve Stimulation

Peripheral Nerve Stimulation

Basically this is a question about a clinical trail that I have been asked to volunteer.
    Dr. Frydman is a doctor working in a respectful institute in Buenos Aires Argentina, called Fleni. The doctor also claims to be working for NIH. He is conducting a clinical trial on peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) on spinal cord injured people in an attempt for gaining some recovery. The idea is to stimulate the peripheral nerves with the use of electrical waves, the procedure is very similar to muscle or physical stimulation (FES).
    According to the doctor the treatment would last for two weeks, with sessions of 1½ hours every day. After the treatment, the patient would have an assessment on the results, and decide whether the procedure is effective or that more treatment is needed. Also, the trail is totally free for the patient or volunteer. The doctor specifically explains that he does not believe that this procedure will produce a full recovery. However he believes that some recovery might be possible.
    My questions would be:
    * What are the possible effects on the use of PNS?
    * Is there the possibility of harming the nerves? What would happen if some of the electricity reaches the brain?

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

Miguel, I don't know Dr. Frydman but he appears to be conducting a clinical study to assess the effects of peripheral nerve stimulation. This is a commonly used technique that has been practiced for many years. Presumably, he is assessing its effects on muscles and possibly spinal cord reflexes. I don't think that such stimulation is harmful if it is carried out properly with the appropriate stimulus intensities. The electricity should be localized to the area of the stimulation where it should activate the nerve to fire signals that could conceivably reach the brain. Incidentally, if it does so, you should be able to feel the stimulus. I don't think that the "electricity reaches the brain" in the manner that you are suggesting.

Wise.

Thank you very much for answering my questions Dr Wise Young

Dr. Young,
    Thanks again for last night's seminar at Rutgers. Question regarding nerve stimulation: I am doing electrical stimulation (similar to acupuncture, but instead of applying needles to my ears, electrical stimulation is applied). Is this similar to the nerve stimulation mentioned here? I have been trying this for a few months now. I haven't seen results yet (but it may still be too early).

Thanks.
    Bob