Thread: Loading Manual Chair into SUV

Loading Manual Chair into SUV

Are there any spiffy tricks/easy ways, for a wimpy old gal, to load a manual chair into either the back seat area, (lower to the ground), or the back end of an SUV? Both arms are bad from past surgeries, and easily injured. My core muscles aren't the strongest in the world either but I can stand and walk short distances.

Last week, I found and passed on a pre-owned exterior chair lift for my power chair, at what I thought to be a perfect price. Automatically secures the chair; no straps. The exact one I wanted too! I passed because I know every time I take the chair out, it will rain, and rain hard! LOL So much for getting out of the house, independently, that is...

Today it occurred to me, maybe someone here, with limited arm use, could share their tips with me!

TIA...
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Hello Tia,

You may want to consider a van with a fold out ramp. My first van had the automatic foldout ramp and a transfer seat inside for the driver. This worked okay for me but I was too tall (6'3") to use it efficiently. A couple of years ago I decided it would be much easier and faster to drive from my chair. I got a Chrylers T & C with the Braun Entervan modifications and I have been unstoppable since.

If you're having a lot of pain and your disability is progressive, you may want to seriously consider this option.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

If you can stand and walk, buy a pulley, rope and hook. Have someone attach the pulley to the roof on the inside of the suv and lift it that way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CJT7W2EJ29W3ZQ

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    Hello Tia,

You may want to consider a van with a fold out ramp. My first van had the automatic foldout ramp and a transfer seat inside for the driver. This worked okay for me but I was too tall (6'3") to use it efficiently. A couple of years ago I decided it would be much easier and faster to drive from my chair. I got a Chrylers T & C with the Braun Entervan modifications and I have been unstoppable since.

If you're having a lot of pain and your disability is progressive, you may want to seriously consider this option.

Good luck.
    Hey Millard! Sounds like you've got your ride going on!!! I've been looking/thinking about a van, but I love, love, love my SUV, especially the sunroof! I took out a flying deer last Feb. in the SUV that would have come through the windshield of a van! I'm a crash magnet, (never my fault) and want to be prepared! Confession, lol, my Doctor doesn't want me driving, and said hand controls were not a good idea with my arms. I don't venture far from home, so, I hate to spend van money and have the doc and/or my husband take my keys... ugg! But, since we're on the subject, have you seen the new wheelchair friendly SUV looking thing? Too cool! I think I saw it here.

Thanks for your post and good luck wishes! When the van day comes, I'll have 100 more questions, I'm sure! In the meantime, hope to see you around; zoom, zoom!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    If you can stand and walk, buy a pulley, rope and hook. Have someone attach the pulley to the roof on the inside of the suv and lift it that way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CJT7W2EJ29W3ZQ

I like this T8! Thanks! Simple and cheap! If I can't do it, we're out a few dollars, no biggie! I've seen the crank type, but don't want all that mess in the back, and it might be easier for me to pull the chair up than crank it. I also bet, we have one in the garage or my husband can pick this up at Home Depot and have it installed by tomorrow night! Now, I just need to convince him that this is the perfect solution. He was so looking forward to installing a lift...LOL!

Thanks again, T, you're a genius!

— Marianne Williamson

Ultra-Light Chair

Rather than start a new thread, I'm hoping someone will return here and give me a suggestion for an ultra-light chair that can be easily loaded into the back of my SUV? My husband is right, if I use a pulley, or even a wench, to load/unload my existing heavy chair, I'm going to hurt myself.

Insurance should cover a second chair. I also have a great chair company that I worked with for my motorized chair; custom built and fitted.

I'm tall, no sports (but I like to go fast), I'll need good cushions (seat and back), and vibration absorption is important. Oh, and the Kids want me to get spinners on the wheels! Haha!

I've looked at Tilite, titanium chair ....some of those are pretty cool looking, but practical, comfortable, and easy to push, (without assistance), with my elbows locked as tight to my body as possible are top priority.

Any suggestions or other brands I should consider? Thanks in advance ...love the group of peeps here at CC!!!

— Marianne Williamson

I don't know about others, but I recently was looking for a new chair and was looking at the tilites and also the top end titanium chairs from invacare

Thanks, Mike! I looked at the Invacare, ultralights ....they're neat too. I'm desperately trying to figure out the easiest way to get out and about without being completely dependent on my husband handling my chair, or wreaking my already wreaked arms/shoulders. I'm assuming, a lighter chair will be easy for me to push, therefore easier on my arms.

My manual weights about 40 lbs. It's my first chair, and the only thing I knew about a wheelchair was it should roll, and I needed it fast.

Since then, I found my mobility (chair), guy. He's coming the first of next month. If everything works out with ins., it will be fun to see what he comes up with!

Do most people order chairs directly from the web sites?

Thanks again!

— Marianne Williamson

Hey there, because you have had shoulder surgery in the past, I wouldn't risk trying to get your chair into your SUV. It can reek havoc on your shoulders and make them worse. I would look into a van or something lower to the ground, where you can get your chair in. On the mazda 5, they make a speedy lift, that lifts your wheelchair in for you. It's like a van crossover, but not as big as minivans. It would definitely be a shoulder saver. Best wishes!

Hey, xJ

xJ, did my husband pay you to post this?!? LOL The only thing I dislike more than car shopping is spending money on cars, but I'm keeping my eye open for a good deal on a crossover type for transporting the motorized chair. It's hard to find them pre-owed since they are newer, but I'm willing to wait.

An ultra-light chair will also allow me a chair on the 3rd floor of our house, and my daughter can do the lifting into and out of the car when my husband isn't along.

If you could see the dents/marks in our walls, baseboards, and doors from my motorized chair, you would probably advise me NOT to go out in public in it ...for the safety of others!

Thanks for the great advise and good wishes! I'm sure I'll be calling on CC when I get ready to take the car plunge!

Quote Originally Posted by xJdinox View Post
    Hey there, because you have had shoulder surgery in the past, I wouldn't risk trying to get your chair into your SUV. It can reek havoc on your shoulders and make them worse. I would look into a van or something lower to the ground, where you can get your chair in. On the mazda 5, they make a speedy lift, that lifts your wheelchair in for you. It's like a van crossover, but not as big as minivans. It would definitely be a shoulder saver. Best wishes!

— Marianne Williamson