Thread: Transitioning out of Teaching Back to Disability

Unhappy Transitioning out of Teaching Back to Disability

Hello, I'm a T-3 para and am 27 years post injury. I've been working as a 2nd grade teacher for twenty years. I'm feeling like the time is nearing for me to stop working as I'm dealing with more medical issues and am just exhausted most of the time. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are advocacy programs to help guide me through this. I have two young boys, ages 2 and 6 and don't want to disrupt their lives too much. I'm afraid I won't be able to afford my morgage and/or car if I go back to disability. Feeling a little stuck, help!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnetteLyman View Post
    Hello, I'm a T-3 para and am 27 years post injury. I've been working as a 2nd grade teacher for twenty years. I'm feeling like the time is nearing for me to stop working as I'm dealing with more medical issues and am just exhausted most of the time. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are advocacy programs to help guide me through this. I have two young boys, ages 2 and 6 and don't want to disrupt their lives too much. I'm afraid I won't be able to afford my morgage and/or car if I go back to disability. Feeling a little stuck, help!!
    Hi Annette,

Welcome to care cure. I don't have an answer to your question but kudos to you for teaching 2nd graders from a chair for 20 years. No wonder you are tired!

Get a disability lawyer asap and don't say much on the www. LTD is a very different kind of benefit.

Talk to the Educational Retirement Board in your state if you paid into an educator's pension fund. I also worked for over 20 yrs. primarily in the public education system. Every paycheck, money was deducted from my earned income and placed in the State Education's Retirement Pension Fund. When my health deteriorated and interfered with my ability to work full time, I applied for ealy disbility retirement. I also applied for SSDI. Both checks cover all of my expenses [I also have a mortgage]. The trick is keeping your medical coverage until Medicare kicks in which is exactly 24 months after your approval date for SSDI. I used the FMLA [family medical leave act] for as long as I could, then submitted a "Very specific" retirement date which the Retirement Board required before starting my benefits [In my case a monthly check and health insurance coverage for a fee]. The health insurance provided by the retirement board was my only coverage until I was granted Medicare. Now it is my Secondary insurance [?? Advantage Plan ??]. If you have the golden "6 month emergency fund" in either your checking or savings account than it will be a LITTLE LESS STRESSFUL [Trust me you will be stressed through the whole process since unfamilar strangers make all the decisions.]. Do as much research as you can. Speak to the union representives and any other teachers/staff members who either have already retired or are contemplating doint it soon. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Do not rush into it. Do not make a rash decision. Find away to keep your current insurance so that there is no gap until you qualify for Medicare.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks, Peegy!! Great information. I do have Calstrs which is the CA state teachers' retirement. I also pay for disability insurance. Unfortunately, I have no "cushion" due to a high-risk pregnancy two years ago and then my salary was reduced by 10% because of budget cuts. Sounds like it could be a bumpy ride. Makes me very nervous!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnetteLyman View Post
    Thanks, Peegy!! Great information. I do have Calstrs which is the CA state teachers' retirement. I also pay for disability insurance. Unfortunately, I have no "cushion" due to a high-risk pregnancy two years ago and then my salary was reduced by 10% because of budget cuts. Sounds like it could be a bumpy ride. Makes me very nervous!
    A former professor of mine sits on the disability board for State Teachers. He runs the Voc Rehab Dept at Sac State. He might be a good person to speak with.

I retired from teaching in CA on disability but I was 3 months short of being vested. Generally, it is best to leave on disability, let your plan pay and then eventually retire on disability. The disability board makes the decision but it is a set formula.

I talked to someone in Sacramento for the State Teachers--they were very helpful. I ended up taking a lump sum because I was not vested. They will assign you a Voc Rehab counselor to determine if you can still be employed
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Thanks, cheesecake!! Would it be possible to private message me with a contact name? Do you think I would have any difficulty getting approval for a preexisisting disability?

I've been offered a job teaching High School and will be getting insurance through the school system. I'm happy to be working again, but am wondering if it doesn't pan out long term, is it possible to get back onto medicaid insurance? I'm Medi-Medi right now. Just wondering about the positives and negatives.