Thread: Changing seat base

Changing seat base

Does anyone have any input on changing from a adjustable strap seat base to a solid seat? I have always used the strap seat base, and usually run a bit of sag in it. I am interested in an icon, but wonder about how the switch to a solid base would affect my seating. Specifically if I would have issues with pressure on different areas than what I have now. I would imagine the best thing to do would be to get mapped, just wondered about others experiences...

I have sensation, so I don't know about pressure issues, but I love my solid seat pan. It is maintenance free, and always feels the same. I can't imagine going back to a sling.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

sportaid was a kit for that for around 300 dlls

I don't know anything about pressure mapping, never had those issues but having a solid seatpan on my Tilite TR, I would never go back to a sling seat. The stability and support with the solid seatpan is great. A whole new experience. I should have my Icon in a few weeks. If it didn't have a solid seatpan I'd either get one or probably not get the chair. That's how big a difference it's made for me. I hope some one else can give you some information on pressure concerns. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tw View Post
    Does anyone have any input on changing from a adjustable strap seat base to a solid seat? I have always used the strap seat base, and usually run a bit of sag in it. I am interested in an icon, but wonder about how the switch to a solid base would affect my seating. Specifically if I would have issues with pressure on different areas than what I have now. I would imagine the best thing to do would be to get mapped, just wondered about others experiences...
    I had the same concern before I bought the Icon. The solid seat is way better for my posture. I use a low profile roho so was worried that I'd bottom out and if I did here would be a lot more pressure on a solid than a sling. The roho seems to work better on the solid base and haven't had any problems with bottoming out.

I agree with grommet's comments "I would never go back to a sling seat. The stability and support with the solid seatpan is great"

What kind of cushion are you using?

sling vs seat pan

I will try to avoid sling as well. The seat pan keeps me from slouching

Thanks for the replies. I am using a jay extreme cushion. I was mapped once a few years ago, and of the cushions available to try, none of them looked any better than the extreme did. I do remember not being too confident in the skills of the person doing the mapping though.

Quote Originally Posted by juggular View Post
    I agree with grommet's comments "I would never go back to a sling seat. The stability and support with the solid seatpan is great"

?
    I agree too.
    But remember if you are going to order a chair with a solid seat pan the rear and front frame height will have to be around .5" lower, because the seat pan will make you be seating in a high position.