Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin.....it's what's for dinner!

Dolphin.....it's what's for dinner!

Okay, first things first.....this is a Dolphin 'fish' not 'mammal' so calm down. 'Mahi Mahi' is a marketing term that originated in Hawaii and is now used because people don't know the difference and don't want think they're eating Flipper.

I called up my fish guy and asked for a whole filet still frozen....we don't have 'true' fresh around here so this is the freshest I'm gonna get. I get there to pick up my fish and the damn filet is roughly 3 feet long and almost 5lbs. The dolphin was on sale for $11.99lb, when the price came up for the whole thing my girlfriend looked at me like I was nuts and I felt the same inside. So I asked good ole' Dillon to cut me off 2 - 1lb pieces....he was spot on, on the first one weighing in at 1.02lbs, Kudos to him!! Next one weighed in at .88lbs, still pretty good eye from the meat man in my book!

Get home, light the grill turn the deck lights on, light a stogey, open a beer and get the fish ready. Kept it very simple, Sea salt, black pepper and EVOO on the fish and eggplant.

Everything over direct heat, no lid the whole time.

Nice night time pic of the yard and grill.

Dinner is ready!

Served with semi-homemade Peach & Pineapple Salsa, avocados and roasted pine nut olive oil couscous.

Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

True Story, about 30 years ago I was eating in a friends restaurant, the table in back of me ordered "Dolphin" the aneroxic, blond, dumb, way too much money liberal chick across the way heard the word "Dolphin" was a slobbering mess, and verbally abused the diners for eating "Flipper". They had to bring out a book documenting it as a fish and not the TV Star. She still wasn't buying it and was an unforgettable mess the rest of the time.

I have a twisted sense of humor. She was the best entertainment in a restaurant I've ever seen. Somewhere, somehow, I'm sure she's off the deep end by now, as sure as I'm crippled!

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    True Story, about 30 years ago I was eating in a friends restaurant, the table in back of me ordered "Dolphin" the aneroxic, blond, dumb, way too much money liberal chick across the way heard the word "Dolphin" was a slobbering mess, and verbally abused the diners for eating "Flipper". They had to bring out a book documenting it as a fish and not the TV Star. She still wasn't buying it and was an unforgettable mess the rest of the time.

I have a twisted sense of humor. She was the best entertainment in a restaurant I've ever seen. Somewhere, somehow, I'm sure she's off the deep end by now, as sure as I'm crippled!
    Tooo funny! But I know from talking with people and listening to people about 'Dolphin', how true your story is!!

The thing about Dolphin, is they are as much fun to catch as they are to eat!!!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

She was straight jacket material,,,,,,,,,,,

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    WOW!!!!!
    Is bigger than Flip!

I did not know about the mahi-mahi being a dolphinfish. Thanks for the education!

*grumbles .. then again, when do I ever find myself in a nice restaurant trying new things while alone* lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Regardless of the name that fish is good eating. As usual, great cooking and great pics, Larry.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I did not know about the mahi-mahi being a dolphinfish. Thanks for the education!

*grumbles .. then again, when do I ever find myself in a nice restaurant trying new things while alone* lol
    *grumble grumble* Go out and eat alone! I do it all the time, I take my kindle go to a nice restaurant have a nice meal and read a book. As a single person in a wheelchair you always get a table no matter how long the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Regardless of the name that fish is good eating. As usual, great cooking and great pics, Larry.
    They could go with Dorado and put an end to the problem.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg