Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Implant for spinal cord (Karolinska institute, Sweden)

Grammy you should better discuss this with Sweden doctors i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Grammy work looks good of Canada. Can this help in my lumbar injury? I think i can.
    I don't know. If you join the clinical trial for chronics in future years in Sweden and have part of your spinal cord removed so they can put a scaffold in then you'll be testing it out and let us know if you got better or if your condition got much worse. Right?

Depending on the trial design, they may not want to experiment on your level of injury. They haven't announced the protocol for chronics. They've just now received funding for development of the product and it is going to be tested in complete acutes and incomplete acutes first.

Maybe an idea could be to invite one of the Swedish researchers over to W2W to give a speech?

Yes Leif, that would be a very good idea. They will most likely be invited when they get closer to the "chronic" pieces they propose. W2W2012 presentations are all being designed around the chronic condition this year.

Great to know Grammy that you are inviting those for chronic conditions in W2W2012 to present. We hope to hear about some regenerative therapies focused on glia scars at W2W2012 presentations.

I'm bumping this thread to see if someone knows any.

http://www.bioarctic.se/traumatic-sp...1device-sc0806

Here it says clinical trials are planned in late 2012. It's possible that this has been postponed due to further tests on pig. Mentioned here:

http://www.vinnova.se/sv/Resultat/Pr...yggmargsskada/

Unfortunately is it in swedish(as the company) but it also mentions the clinical trial. It's a lot of hush around this probably because of the patent. When I spoke to a guy who had been at the ward which will contribute this was indeed the case.

Here some more stuff about the implant from the application for patent in Australia:

http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applic.../AU2001054313/

Also this has nothing to with SCINet Norway.
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post

At the surgery the damaged portion of the spinal cord is removed and replaced by the implant.
    Going to have trouble finding patients willing to do that ^^^ in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    Going to have trouble finding patients willing to do that ^^^ in my opinion.
    I don't think so. Probably some functioning axons will be damaged. But the study will be performed on complete TH patients. A mm of cord there is not that much motor function. I think the power of dispair is greater.

Also, obviously the scar tissue is a big deal and of course inhibits the growth of the axons. To me it seem reasonably that this approach could be beneficial.
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

http://www.lifesciencesweden.se/fors...iv-behandling/
    in swedish

clinical trial this summer or autumn (they claim once again) in sweden, denmark and finland.