Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Implant for spinal cord (Karolinska institute, Sweden)

Quote Originally Posted by topperf View Post
    Looks like its for acutes.. dammit.
    "The longer the intention is to develop treatment for patients with older rygmarvsbrud."

I guess this is the line about the future development for chronics.
    Why didn't I study Swedish?
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

That sentence exactly, led me to my initial conclusion.
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I immediately become cynical when there is talk of 'removing damaged tissue'. This sets off all sorts of alarm bells for me. What is this damaged tissue? How do we know there are'nt any healthy axons in there? And how will this be done without more gliosis and fibrosis entering the lesion area?

Invivo talks of this. Lima talks about removing tissue. Help me out here please?

Any one did contact these peoples whether this implant will be effective in chronic injuries or only for acutes? Any one here from Sweden who can update?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Any one did contact these peoples whether this implant will be effective in chronic injuries or only for acutes? Any one here from Sweden who can update?
    For now this is being designed for acute injuries. It will be many years before it reaches the chronic phase of development and testing.

BioArctic Receives Grant from VINNOVA
    2012-04-03
    Today, VINNOVA announced that BioArctic Neuroscience AB was granted 3.5 million SEK for the clinical development of its proprietary
    product with the indication Treatment of Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury.
    VINNOVA is The Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems that supports research and development work of the highest quality.
    BioArctic is developing a new treatment for traumatic Spinal Cord Injury together with The Department of Clinical Neuroscience and
    Neurosurgery, Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital.
    The product under development is a biodegradable device with a growth factor, which will promote and guide nerve growth in the spinal cord and restore function. During a neurosurgical procedure the injured spinal cord will be replaced by the product.
    Currently, there are 2.5 million victims suffering from Spinal Cord Injury, which is a devastating condition with loss of motor function and sensibility below the injured segment.

There are no effective treatments for complete traumatic spinal cord injury, which is a chronic, devastating condition leading to markedly impaired life quality and very high economical costs to the society, says Dr. Pär Gellerfors, CEO of BioArctic Neuroscience.

The company intends to develop the current product for "complete" acute spinal cord injury into the segment of "incomplete" spinal cord injuries and then eventually as a treatment for older injuries which is a 2.5 million patient market.

Last edited by GRAMMY; 05-14-2012 at 02:57 AM.

They say that it is "a chronic, devastating condition leading to markedly impaired life quality and vey high economical costs to the scoiety" and yet the treatment is for acute stage only.

Not encouraging news from anywhere for chronics.

'Many years'? .. How 'many'?
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    For now this is being designed for acute injuries. It will be many years before it reaches the chronic phase of development and testing.

BioArctic Receives Grant from VINNOVA
    2012-04-03
    Today, VINNOVA announced that BioArctic Neuroscience AB was granted 3.5 million SEK for the clinical development of its proprietary
    product with the indication Treatment of Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury.
    VINNOVA is The Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems that supports research and development work of the highest quality.
    BioArctic is developing a new treatment for traumatic Spinal Cord Injury together with The Department of Clinical Neuroscience and
    Neurosurgery, Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital.
    The product under development is a biodegradable device with a growth factor, which will promote and guide nerve growth in the spinal cord and restore function. During a neurosurgical procedure the injured spinal cord will be replaced by the product.
    Currently, there are 2.5 million victims suffering from Spinal Cord Injury, which is a devastating condition with loss of motor function and sensibility below the injured segment.

There are no effective treatments for complete traumatic spinal cord injury, which is a chronic, devastating condition leading to markedly impaired life quality and very high economical costs to the society, says Dr. Pär Gellerfors, CEO of BioArctic Neuroscience.

The company intends to develop the current product for "complete" acute spinal cord injury into the segment of "incomplete" spinal cord injuries and then eventually as a treatment for older injuries which is a 2.5 million patient market.

Grammy,

Thanks very much for posting this. It explains clearly that the company intends to start with complete acute spinal cord injuries and develop the product for use in incomplete acute spinal cord injuries and then for chronic spinal cord injury. They understand that the real market is the 2.5 million chronic spinal cord injuries.

I suspect that the main reason they are doing it first in acute spinal cord injury is because these patients are being operated on anyway and this saves a great deal of the cost of the treatment for them. If they did a trial that required an elective procedure for chronic spinal cord injury and they had to pay for hospitalization and surgery, that would be a very expensive first trial.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

If they did a trial that required an elective procedure for chronic spinal cord injury and they had to pay for hospitalization and surgery, that would be a very expensive first trial.

Wise.
    Wise,

what you say is very questionable, in fact Stem Cell Inc. decided to focus on chronic SCI as they need fewer number of patients, they don't need to wait for people to get a proper SCI for the trial, they just recrute partecipants from all around the world etc. They are taking long time (probably too long) for safety reasons as set by the protocol they follow.
    Then they need just one center, no need for stardandization workshops etc..

There are many rational examples to support the idea that doing a clinical trial on acute today is more expencive than a trial for chrnic SCI so that a company will be out of busyness before getting the therapy to people.

Cethrin is an example that comes to my mind.

How much would it cost today to run all the trials for methylprednisolone?
    Do you think you would have been able to complete the trials today before running out of money?

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 05-14-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming