Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Invacae Torque Sp - dead motor

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyboy1 View Post
    ok, ran the serial # you have a toque that was upgraded to GB or truetrac motors. your chair is MKIV electronics. Unfortunately, those MKIV motors are discontinued. They still make them in MKV and MK6 You could convert your chair to MK6 electronics..... However, due to the age of your chair, I would recommend a new chair.

Regarding your motor replacement issues..... the MKIV GB motors had some issues. When they went to MKV, everybody got the "heavy duty" motors and there haven't been any problems.

I work for a dealer..
    Since you work for a DME I will make myself think more kindly of dealers. Mean that to be nice, I hope it doesn't sound snarky. My last dealer took my handicapable soul and I am trying to get it back ;-)

Long story short - Invacare TDX-SP. Bad motors from the start, left motor died after one year, replaced. Right motor died a few months later. Dealer took the repair order and had me wait months with no contact. After finally getting some one on the phone they told me insurance denied replacing the left motor since it had just been replaced. No, this time it's the right motor and you put in the paperwork wrong. Never heard from them again. It's been more than two years.

I need to a right motor but don't know what part number it is.

Hey Grommet (and the rest of care cure...)
    Sorry to hear about your repair problems. Unfortunately, most dealers don't do a good or timely job with repairs. Getting repairs "approved" by funding sources sometimes takes months. Also, the $ amount funding sources pay doesn't always line up with actual costs of repair. Therefore, dealers aren't very motivated (from a profit perspective) to look at repairs as a priority. I'm not trying to make excuses for dealers. They are responsible to provide repair services for equipment they dispense. If you went into a dealer and were paying cash for your repairs, I'm sure you would be treated differently. As a dealer, I see the value in taking care of the customer to ensure they stay a customer for years to come....

(OK, I'll get of my soap box)

To answer your question/situation....
    Get your serial# (on the frame of your chair) Call Invacare, give them your serial# and ask them for a part # for your right motor. Then go to a local dealer or www.spinlife.com or www.bike-on.com give them the part # and ask them to order it for you (you will have to pay for it this way).

Good luck! Feel free to PM or post anymore questions or concerns.

Jake,

Thanks for the great information and for helping me understand the dealer side better. I still can't forgive how they treated me but it helps to know maybe why the care so little about their customers after they buy the chair. I was a customer with them for years and bought five chairs from them, three power and two manual. I won't go back and a part of me is devoted to telling others to avoid them and the trouble. They used to be better though never good. They went downhill until, well I can't descibe how downwright rude and and incredibly insensitive they have become. I've never been treated as badly by anyone else ever. They should be out of business.

Thanks again for the motor advice, I will get right on that. Where on my TDX-SP will I find my serial number? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I never had to look for it before.

There is business called After-New Medical Equipment in Orlando, Fl. The number is 407-808-6368. The owner is Dave. He takes in a lot of used power chairs, and if cannot re-build them, he just sells the parts. He might have your motor. I used to work for him and some other HME companies. Did a lot of repairs on power chairs and scooters.

Look on the frame in between the rear two casters. The serial # is on a silver/gray sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyboy1 View Post
    Look on the frame in between the rear two casters. The serial # is on a silver/gray sticker.
    Yep, found it and got the part number from Invacare, 1144659.

What do you think of buying motors off Ebay?