Thread: Bad Start to the Day!

Bad Start to the Day!

Went to WalMart first thing this morning, didn't even make it all of the way up the ramp and my front caster got stuck in the groove where the ramp meets the top of the side walk and SNAP! Got back to the truck on three wheels and fortunately had new forks at home. Glad I was going up the ramp and not down!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Glad you weren't hurt! I read this article posted on Facebook, by LASCI, just before seeing your post... http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...reakdowns.aspx

BTW, I enjoy your "food" posts!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Hey Larry, That is a bad start to your day. A good reason to have a spare parts around. Glad you didn't get hurt.
    Last edited by LindaT; 05-04-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo

Can I offer an unsolicited bit of advice...?
    Thanks.
    Has this happened before? Those pics look crazy and I have never seen anything like that. How far forward, or how much COG do you have going on your rear axel. I am proposing (assuming, sorry) that there is too much weight on your casters. BUT the rubber on them doesn't look to worn either.... If it wasn't for bad luck, you would have no luck.
    Way to go on the spare parts!
    SCI Boot Camp

Perhaps your axle screw was already missing on that side when you hit the crack?

Glad you're okay!!
    Chas
    TiLite AeroZ1
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeMan View Post
    Went to WalMart first thing this morning, didn't even make it all of the way up the ramp and my front caster got stuck in the groove where the ramp meets the top of the side walk and SNAP! Got back to the truck on three wheels and fortunately had new forks at home. Glad I was going up the ramp and not down!
    Sorry that happened to you. Scaring the hell out of me, I didn't know that was possible. I don't have an extra set of forks, I would never have thought to have them. Man that is scary. Glad you're alright, you could have had dental work if you'd been going down the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI Boot Camp View Post
    Can I offer an unsolicited bit of advice...?
    Thanks.
    Has this happened before? Those pics look crazy and I have never seen anything like that. How far forward, or how much COG do you have going on your rear axel. I am proposing (assuming, sorry) that there is too much weight on your casters. BUT the rubber on them doesn't look to worn either.... If it wasn't for bad luck, you would have no luck.
    Way to go on the spare parts!
    I don't know honestly, I'd have to look through my forms from when the chair was ordered. That particular caster was a replacement, maybe a year old, the other was plastic. I go through bearings at least once a year, so you could have a point with too much weight being on them. My chair sits in the back of my truck in all sorts of weather, that's what i always attributed the bad bearings to.

I had ordered the new whole fork replacement and casters a while back.....DME charged insurance over $800......
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Ya. Parts are not cheap. Heck, being in a chair is not cheap...
    Your axel should be as far forward (towards casters) as possible. As much as you can tolerate with out feeling unsafe... Your chair will feel like new, and with more weight over the axel and off the casters, it will perform way better... go for sealed bearings, there is not substitute for quality. I think if you're dealing with snow and salt, wet and rain, you need to get the chair protected. Using a Bruno lift if the truck?
    SCI Boot Camp