Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Forget!

Never Forget!

Don't want to pee in the punch bowl of the TGIF party, but let's take a minute to remember something that happened in AMERICA on this day that we should NEVER forget, and NEVER, NEVER LET IT BE REPEATED!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Wow, May 4th. Dates don't stick with me anymore....

You know the hell of it...I lived and worked about 20 miles away. I had good friends on both sides. We talked about it a lot and never really could decide what happened. Near as we could figure, there were a couple of "activists" with their own agenda that had nothing to do with the war on one side, and a couple of "teach them a lesson" army general wannabes on the other. A lot of innonence kids got caught in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    Wow, May 4th. Dates don't stick with me anymore....

You know the hell of it...I lived and worked about 20 miles away. I had good friends on both sides. We talked about it a lot and never really could decide what happened. Near as we could figure, there were a couple of "activists" with their own agenda that had nothing to do with the war on one side, and a couple of "teach them a lesson" army general wannabes on the other. A lot of innonence kids got caught in the middle.
    One thing we can all agree on is that it was a horrific tragedy that should have never happened and can never be allowed to happen again.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Excellent post FO. I remember so vividly when that happened. For a young person it was another reason to distrust authority.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Excellent post FO. I remember so vividly when that happened. For a young person it was another reason to distrust authority.
    I'm not old enough to remember it happening, but I agree with the last part. I just live my life hoping the guys with guns are on my side. You never know.

I'm puzzled by something.

First, let me say I supported the troups that went to Vietnam. I thought the war was wrong from the beginning, but that was the fault of the political leadership...not the guys on the ground. I was saddened to see the way the grunts were treated when they came home. Again, I had some friends in that group, including some that didn't come back.

Now, we're engaged in wars that are even more stupid than vietnam (again, politics..Yeah, okay, Bib Laden...30 seals took him out...why didn't that happen 10 years ago?), but this time, the people coming home get the respect they deserve.

How come? Why was a vietnam vet scum, and an iraq/afghan viet a hero?

I think it depends on who you ask. I know plenty of people that have very little respect for hired killers, regardless of which uniform they wear, religion they practice, or the era they exist.

And others that believe that a standing army of a nation at peace turns into an Imperial army in order to justify its existence.

Generally speaking, I think the American public is more convinced of the need to kill radical Muslims than they were south east Asian Commies.

Boils down to the theme of the narrative presented by the retail media producers.

It wouldnt take much focus on the worst aspects of war by retail media to change public opinion, IMO.

First, let me say I supported the troups that went to Vietnam. I thought the war was wrong from the beginning, but that was the fault of the political leadership...not the guys on the ground. I was saddened to see the way the grunts were treated when they came home. Again, I had some friends in that group, including some that didn't come back.

Now, we're engaged in wars that are even more stupid than vietnam (again, politics..Yeah, okay, Bib Laden...30 seals took him out...why didn't that happen 10 years ago?), but this time, the people coming home get the respect they deserve.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

To a large part because many realized that the shabby treatment of the Vietnam Vets was undeserved. As folks matured, they came to understand that those kids that got drafted to Vietnam, and the ones who volunteered were as much victims of that war as those in the country they ravaged.

A country has learned to separate those who go to defend us from those who send kids to kill or die for all the wrong reasons.
    Foolish

Agree with what you just said...except maybe the "defend us" part.

Taking Iraq's oil off the market was the primary reason for that war...and the mineral rights to the stuff in the ground in NE Afghanistan is why we're there.

Neither one of those makes me feel safer.

Agree with what you just said...except maybe the "defend us" part.

Taking Iraq's oil off the market was the primary reason for that war...and the mineral rights to the stuff in the ground in NE Afghanistan is why we're there.

Neither one of those makes me feel safer.
    Kids don't put on the uniform to manipulate the oil markets, even if that's why they get sent.
    Foolish