Thread: rock inside handrim

rock inside handrim

any one ever get a rock inside their hand rim? I have a Tilite ZRA with titanium rims and on the inside rims there are 2 tiny 1/16" holes (maybe to drain water) but a small rock got inside and is rattleing around in there everytime I roll. I tried to shake it out but no luck. I was gonna drill those holes bigger but drilling thru titanium will be a bitch. Anybody have any tricks?
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

put a dab of rubber cement or some other kind of glue on the end of a toothpick, and stick it in one of the heat relief holes that should already be in the handrings - shake the wheel until the rock sticks to the toothpick.

you can also spray a bit of expanding foam into the existing holes, and shake the wheel until the rock sticks into the foam.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    put a dab of rubber cement or some other kind of glue on the end of a toothpick, and stick it in one of the heat relief holes that should already be in the handrings - shake the wheel until the rock sticks to the toothpick.

you can also spray a bit of expanding foam into the existing holes, and shake the wheel until the rock sticks into the foam.
    That's pretty cool. You are competing with SCI_OTR now for tech king ;-)

Hot glue

I had a tour through the Action Technology facility many years ago and that was a common problem the drilled hole shavings would fall inside the rim. Their fix was to squirt hot glue into one of the holes to grab the shavings.

Years later I had a pair of titanium hand rims sand blasted from polished finish to a textured finish for grip. What the did was screwed a small screw into the holes. That prevented sand getting into the holes. I put the rims on leaving the screws in place to prevent anything else getting in. The grip was great! They only charged me $50 to sand blast the rims.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    I had a tour through the Action Technology facility many years ago and that was a common problem the drilled hole shavings would fall inside the rim. Their fix was to squirt hot glue into one of the holes to grab the shavings.

Years later I had a pair of titanium hand rims sand blasted from polished finish to a textured finish for grip. What the did was screwed a small screw into the holes. That prevented sand getting into the holes. I put the rims on leaving the screws in place to prevent anything else getting in. The grip was great! They only charged me $50 to sand blast the rims.

Ti
    How did the get the srcrew flush with the rim surface so you aren't gouged? I can't figure that out. The rim walls are thin and threading them would seem pretty hard. Very curious to find out how they did this. Maybe I'd do it too, sand from the beach can make you crazy.

I've had that happen as well. It wouldn't be that tough to drill but I don't want the holes bigger.

What I did was hold the rim/hole above me and move it until the rock sits in the hole. Then I used a thin piece of steel and pushed it in, crushing the rock. A rock that small is not that hard. The pieces could come out then.

If you're not that strong it might be possible to place the metal on the floor and hit the rim. A tough balancing act I'll bet.

Its been twenty years and it rarely happens!
    Andrew

ive had that happen and just let it rattle in there it took a few months but it eventually fell out i guess i got lucky
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I bet you really like rock - n roll?

Quote Originally Posted by dewie27 View Post
    any one ever get a rock inside their hand rim? I have a Tilite ZRA with titanium rims and on the inside rims there are 2 tiny 1/16" holes (maybe to drain water) but a small rock got inside and is rattleing around in there everytime I roll. I tried to shake it out but no luck. I was gonna drill those holes bigger but drilling thru titanium will be a bitch. Anybody have any tricks?
    Yep!! that happened to me at first, when i went my first time to the beach little stones of the sand get in, and the fucking noise they did inside the handrim each spin make me mad, i just took a drill and open the two holes larger, and everything went out.

I just used the toothpick and glue trick before I got the power tools out. I used "Shoe Goo" cause it's bulky and can grab more pebbles than just liquid super glue and it worked quick and awesome.

So thanks for the tips
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.