Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benzene Exposure & Paralysis

All the neurologist says is that it is progressive Sue and my case is now fairly stable Sue & TM, I take 1200mg of Gabapentin daily

Joe

Tm

Hi again
    I have two patients who have TM at present. One served in the Gulf War and the other - not sure maybe the Vietnam Era. The Gulf War veteran may have had a vaccine trigger the symptom long after discharge; the other veteran developed TM in his 60s; also advised to avoid vaccines.

The VA is pretty good at staying on top of chemical exposures related to certain disease processes. It is a evolving area.

pbr

Thankyou pbr for the information , i will also avoid vacines. i never heard of benzene and tm until this post. there are 2 other people with tm at the rehab i go to who also dont know how they got it. it sounds like mabe it could be along time until it gets triggered by something. marge

This might help but most only say 'neurological problems' or something like that. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/index.asp It's a hard site to specify one page because some go to off VA areas. Search by the main ingredient in the fuel or rocket because I saw it earlier today. The VA is starting to add things that can take decades to show up.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks Sue for the public health . va link. them vacines the service men get are potent wonder how many come down with TM.

TM, at that link click occupational exposure and then solvents to find benzene and other components of rocket fuel. I was working in Field Station Augsburg, West Germany during asbestos abatement. One night it literally snowed on us. I had a spinal infarct 7 years later of no known cause and get very hoarse very fast in hot weather now. No signs of anything in lungs but it's like having this big time bomb on your head at times.

It will be hard to tell about the vaccines. The TMA finished, if my information is correct, collecting enough data and is now doing a final analysis on people who have contacted them. I know from the prelimanary results years back that vaccines are the trigger in many cases but no specific vaccine has been found. So we still have infants paralyzed at 18 months and 21 year old Marines in boot camp from them. Preservatives in the vaccines were ruled out early on, IIRC. Whether future vaccines are advisable is something you should discuss with your neurologist.

I was rather surprised to see a connection between any chemical and TM because the old school version is TM is caused by some virus that attacks the spinal cord and, normally, is gone before symptoms hit and spinal fluid is taken for testing. But then I was surprised that the VA is coming clean about a lot of chemicals and testing of different things on our troops both with and without their knowledge.

I was surprised to find that there is old ammo manufacturing site just north of us about 15-20 miles that is in the process of being turned over after clean up. This article is from 2010 but wikipedia has a large page on the place. http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...cc4c03286.html Then two up in northern Wisconsin that are on the AO and Arsenic list. We didn't have any military at all up there and it's kind of funny; I worked at an east coast branch of a company that made excelsior from poplars from Marinette. They are weed trees and now used to make that matting that prevents erosion on the side of highways by being kept in place by staples through the matting that has a photodegradable plastic webbing over it. Glad now that I never even had to inventory it because we shipped directly from the plant there.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 07-01-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Hi Sue, most all i read on tm was caused by a virus. so many people have different versions of tm, iread some old posts here from dr young and i learned so much more of causes. didnt know a spinal stroke can cause imflamation like tm. This benzene seems to be a very potent subtance . i just cant figure it out how we can get so sick that paralizes aperson Marge

hi Sue, When you had a stroke how did they know for sure it was a stroke? You were young. Once my nuro seen my age right away he said i had a spinel stroke. the other nuros on his team was not sure thats why i got plasma P. after all the testing like you said no signs there. if it was up to him wouldnt of got plasma p. cause no help for spinel strokes. what did the dr say about being hoarse. Marge

Not that young. I was a week shy of 33. There are blood tests that can show some markers when a virus has been around recently from what I understand. They also did two lumbar punctures (spinal taps) and a ton of other tests. They knew by the third day with 99% certainity I had had a spinal stroke. I couldn't get a MRI until I was off life support and the vent because the hospital's imaging department wasn't finished and they sent me by ambulance across town to a private clinic for a MRI. That made it 100%. I did get methylprednisolone very soon after I was air lifted in. It was obvious to them that with what my husband said I did not have GBS since the paralysis started up and went down toward my feet since TM and strokes do react that way. And high dose steroids would not be a stretch for steroid use because many already used steroids for MS flare ups which have a lot in common. With how quickly I went from a healthy AB to on a vent and only turning at my neck the resident pushed to treat me like a traumatic SCI even though xrays showed no bone fractures. As far as my husband knows and my records say I did not get plasma pharesis in those totally out of it days. Only reason for hoarseness now on occasion is possile allergies... No signs of lung problems but with a VA Hospital right here I'll be registering myself and the asbestos exposure because I am still in touch with Army friends who were also there during the abatement program. The intel site I worked at has been torn down so any evidence here is classified at present but they had a West German company do the removal. They will have records.

A spinal stroke with no known cause is very rare for any age. The known causes are being cross clamped too long during open heart surgery; epidurals that are often used for childbirth and other lower body surgeries can cause one; then 2 illegal drugs, heroin causes low blood pressure causing a lack of blood flow and cocaine that causes high blood pressure and can cause bleeds. All 4 causes are easy to see or test for.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 07-06-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Hi Sue, That had to be really scary to have to go on a vent. i had all the same tests except i got my mri very soon allmost as soon as i got to the hospital. i was also put on steroids right away. was lucky this team of nuros were on duty. there is a young man 20 years old at the gym igo too at the rehab he was on a vent with Tm. I remember slapping my legs as Tm was going up them , then zap a pain in lower back then around an hr was parelized waist down. Marge