Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there a difference between Central pain and Neuropathic pain?

Darkeyed Daisy,

I have contemplaed but cannoy respond I was on drug trials begging to die at the time. His was bad on and off his lower leg looked funny, he slept and moaned and occassionally woke up, he could talk while in an episode. it wasn't pretty.

wish i could say more but I was in agony the whole time, an extremely bad run so not aware enough. he was in 2 of the 9 days I was in and I remeber him the least of my roomies as I was at my worst.

Had one brief converstaion when he came in then I crashed into the CP abyss, the nurses said it scared him and he asked for a transfer to another room but was discharged the next day

sorry i couldn't be more help

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

I guess I was just trying to understand the similarities as CRPS, Neuropathic pain, and Central Pain syndrome all share some of the same symptoms. However, they seem to have significant differences too.

I don't want another label. I know they ask lots of questions about diabetes every time I go to the pain clinic. They do treat alot of diabetic neuropathy and peripheral neuropathy patients. Every person that I come in contact with during my office visit always asks the diabetes and alcohol questions. I think they lump the neuropathies together. I don't fit into those either.

This is my first experience with a true pain clinic and over the years I have been labeled with alot of diagnoses that I just didn't have because the ICD-9 system is just not set up for chronic pain. Most of them neuropathies because the system just not support or adequately describe the different syndromes.

Everything you said SWH is true.

There is nothing to say CP patients cannot have peripheral neuropathy and tons of regular nociceptive musculoskeletal pain also.
    When you have both it is hard to talk to a doctor that doesn't acknowledge both types of pain and realize that you can have both. When you try to explain to a doctor that you have both, they act like you can't possibly know that.

I have learned so much from you about the differences in the disorders. I am still trying to understand some things.

Arndog, my boss was the only one in the whole place that could relate to what I experience with my legs. But I don't think CRP or RSD is what I have. I saw him some days in agony like Bill describes. I have never been to the place that he describes but there are days that it gets so intense my memory goes bad and I have trouble remembering even what I said the day before. I hope that makes sense. I know we all describe different depths of pain/agony.

Good to hear from you Dej. I guess I am one of the 15 but at least not among the most severe. It goes against the definition of CP and CP common sense, but I actually get some comfort from putting heavy wools socks on when the cold/burning is at its worst and I have to try to sleep to escape it. Maybe that's just because I used to do that at the beginning when I had no idea why my feet were so cold that they were burning and I tried the sock thing (psychological comfort). I guess I don't know where my skin is sometimes.
    SwH, One leg can be cold to the touch and the other hot but the burning pain and what I describe as "the skin being rubbed off with a brillo pad while pouring alcohol on the raw areas with a random ice pick poking different places" is the same. A light touch sends me through the roof while a heavy touch results in a numb feeling. Sleep is the only thing that gives me relief at that point. Its on the inside of my calves that can't be touched.

Its hard to get braces made and explaining to an orthotist that the brace cannot touch this area because of the burning. They always look at me like I am crazy.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

LOL re braces Darkeyed

"Its hard to get braces made and explaining to an orthotist that the brace cannot touch this area because of the burning. They always look at me like I am crazy."

So i try to hold down a job and typicallt do a skype meeting but wear no pants due to the bruning waist down.

At a prior job before they fired me I was doing a skype and had a white shirt and tie on and had to get up forgetting skype was on and everyone saw I was only half dressed, no one in the company didn't hear about it or rib me about it. Was truly funny. I had forgotten that til I read your post.

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Quote Originally Posted by bollefen View Post
    "Its hard to get braces made and explaining to an orthotist that the brace cannot touch this area because of the burning. They always look at me like I am crazy."

So i try to hold down a job and typicallt do a skype meeting but wear no pants due to the bruning waist down.

At a prior job before they fired me I was doing a skype and had a white shirt and tie on and had to get up forgetting skype was on and everyone saw I was only half dressed, no one in the company didn't hear about it or rib me about it. Was truly funny. I had forgotten that til I read your post.

ket
    That is funny.

I found this a few minutes ago.

This may help some here who are trying to understand it.

http://www.theacpa.org/uploads/ACPA_...nal_011313.pdf

from the American Chronic Pain Association.

http://www.theacpa.org/condition/neuropathic-pain

There are a few resources on this link. The communication tools may be helpful for some of the new people who are trying to communicate in "pain language" with their physicians.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown