Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celebrating 27 years of SCI

Celebrating 27 years of SCI

So this month i am celebrating 27 years of sci. for me, the exact day is no longer important but i tend to not really care about marking specific days, especially when i've accomplished so much in this past year alone.

last week i came home from a research conference in san diego, got into my car that was waiting for me at the airport and drove home. and i took a wrong turn and then had a thought:

this is MY car. and i am driving home BY MYSELF from a major research conference. hoshit.

and despite my fighting a terrible UTI since february, despite my stress on not knowing where i'll come up with 12grand to finish school or pay off 3K in credit card debt....

i am HAPPY. the happiest i've ever been. i've grown as an individual and am now more the me i've always wanted to be, i'm heavily involved in my community, my research is just going well again, i'm going to events and will be traveling this summer like crazy(giving a talks at TWO women's conferences this summer, one on may 19th and the other on July 21st) , i am networking and becoming friends with influential ppl in my community and i have such awesome friends that accept me for the crazy person that i am and i know exactly what i want to study in grad school(biophysics and applied mathematics) and... I OWN MY OWN CAR!!!!!!! lol

this past year has been damn hard. the hardest i've had in quite some time, and it's also been the biggest and most important years of my life. my only regret is that it took so long to gain independence but at the same time, that regret is soooo miniscule.

what's funny is despite being paralyzed for so long, i am kinda the worst person to ask on what adaptations i use to live my daily life lol i don't really :P the best "reacher" is a fork/giant spoon tied to the end of a broom with a rubber band. i don't really do weight shifts. i don't wear a binder(i rub my quad belly for good luck), i have never been evaluated for this ASIA thing that is so popular on this forum, nor has any doctor asked me for it. it really isn't important, find out what YOU can or cannot do and focus on that. i don't sleep on egg crates or sheep skin, just a regular pillowtop mattress(i don't like how they feel and i find them to be very hot). no real schedules for bladder or bowels. and i just wear clothes right off the shelf. my legs swell but i don't wear compression socks(they hurt and once gave me a pressure sore) but the swelling is minimal and i am not emotionally distressed by it nor are my drs concerned. it is what is and that is my normal. and it is because of this forum that i realized how incredibly fortunate i am to live my life this way; that my SCI isnt some impediment to how i go about my day and i most often forget that i am paralyzed.

it is NOT important. it's faded to the background just like my gender has and the color of my skin. sometimes i am reminded that i am paralyzed but then i am easily distracted by all the goings on in my life that have NOTHING to do with SCI.

so i guess that's my point. just LIVE. my fav movie is aunti mame with rosalind russel "life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

and finally, after a long time coming, i can say i am eating like crazy and enjoying it.

<raises her coffee mug to those reading this>
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Cheers <raises my mug of coffee with 2 creams and three sugars>

Outdamnstanding citizen!
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Cheers <raises my mug of coffee with 2 creams and three sugars>
    I like mine with no cream and one two or no sugars depending on my mood

The irony is that after i typed this i went to go get dressed. Button up red shirt and it took me 10 min to put the damn thing on as my left arm just has issues bending backwards to get into the arm hole. And i couldnt find the hole. So i pulled the shirt around and saw that the sleeve was inside out and i just had to laugh. Independent quad took 10min to figure out that no it's not my arm being more derpy, it's my brain forgetting to heck to make sure my sleeves are not inside out lol

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    I like mine with no cream and one two or no sugars depending on my mood

The irony is that after i typed this i went to go get dressed. Button up red shirt and it took me 10 min to put the damn thing on as my left arm just has issues bending backwards to get into the arm hole. And i couldnt find the hole. So i pulled the shirt around and saw that the sleeve was inside out and i just had to laugh. Independent quad took 10min to figure out that no it's not my arm being more derpy, it's my brain forgetting to heck to make sure my sleeves are not inside out lol
    You cannot blame the brain for anything that happens before coffee. lol Congratulations on subduing another year of adversity. It is something to celebrate.

As for putting arms in sleeves, I had to become inventive when shoulder pain crept into my life. I now put my arms in the sleeves with the shirt in front of me and then flip it over my head.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    You cannot blame the brain for anything that happens before coffee. lol Congratulations on subduing another year of adversity. It is something to celebrate.

As for putting arms in sleeves, I had to become inventive when shoulder pain crept into my life. I now put my arms in the sleeves with the shirt in front of me and then flip it over my head.
    Lol i tried that technique once and fell over and was stuck until my aide got there. Loooolllll

Thanks crypticgimp, your post was just what I needed. I was heading to a research conference this morning at UBC when I realized I had a leak. Things were very black until I read this. Thanks

Congrats! √* ta sant√©! (raises mug of strong coffee, tons of 5% cream, no sugar)