Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Chinese food?

What do you think of Chinese food?

I've always loved Chinese food but it was only recently after going to China that I've realized how very different the Western Chinese food is from what they eat.

I've had the real 'sweet and sour chicken' prepared by my friend who lives in the province it's famous for - as well as 'honey spring chicken' and a wide array of other dishes.

On the other hand he has also cooked 'cola chicken' - but the one thing I love about China so far is the diversity of different foods.

Delicious fried breads with accompaniments, roasted meats, succulent stir frys and all the rest.

The best part is the price... It can cost me one UK pound (maybe $1.60) to go to a restaurant and get a plate of stir fried beef and vegetables and bottomless rice bowls (I've become somewhat of a chopstick ninja) or I can cook a meal for 4 people for just 2-3 dollars (a big meal too).

So what do you all think of Chinese food, do you think it's better than western food..?

Most importantly, could you eat it everyday without going back to western bread, pizza, burgers, fries and all the rest?

Oooh one last thought. They have this dessert which is blended crushed iced mixed with fruit juice and topped with nuts, dried fruits, jelly and red beans - price is 50 cents!

What do you guys think? I do miss a good Indian curry though...
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

I love Chinese food and unfortunately the only version I have has is the Western versions. I would love to visit the Asia and have the real deals.

I have noticed the difference in cooking techniques, flavorings, etc., from the various Chinese places I have been to here in the U.S., and understand it's due to where the Chef is from. For instance, one of my favorite dishes is Hunan Chicken. I love the version flavored with whole chile's, but there are many places that use fermented black beans vs. chiles and though still 'okay' not even close to what I like.

I also understand that real Chinese food is not as fat laden and heavy as the versions we are used to enjoying. This is one of the things I love about Chinese restaurants is they will customize your meals without hesitation. They will steam almost anything on the menu vs. deep fry. I always get my dish steamed with the sauce on the side and brush the meat with a broccoli floret and also get a side of chile oil for an extra kick!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

I enjoy both the American chinese food and the real thing. there is a lot less sweetness in chinese food prepared in a persons home than what you get at a buffet. more fish eyes staring back at you.

The best meal I have had in my life was in hong kong where my hosts took me to a restaurant called "seafood restaurant". If was on the second floor above a fish market, the tables were folding tables, all the waiters and waitresses wore rubber boots and white aprons which had seen more than a few fish parts. I have no idea what I ate most of the time (the only non seafood dish was a turtle dish where the inverted shell of the turtle held the turtle meat and sauce), we drank beer from rice bowls, I know my friends ordered weird stuff just to see if I would chicken out, but I ate everything they put in front of me. The food was incredibly good. I can't relate it to anything I have had at a chinese restaurant in the US.

Love American Chinese food! The closest I came to a real Chinese resturant would be in Chinatown in DC. It to me, was kinda bland. Mebbe too american to understand how a proper Chinese dinner should taste?

Will never give up the steak and beer dinner! All the fattest of the fat meals we eat here....nope, not gonna get rid of them, scale be damned!

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    Love American Chinese food! The closest I came to a real Chinese resturant would be in Chinatown in DC. It to me, was kinda bland. Mebbe too american to understand how a proper Chinese dinner should taste?

Will never give up the steak and beer dinner! All the fattest of the fat meals we eat here....nope, not gonna get rid of them, scale be damned!
    It's not the scale that scares me, but rather the fact that my arteries are going to need Drano to unclog them. I hate the taste of that stuff!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I really like chinese food, but always have some problems with soy (food intolerance). Now I started eating japanese food and avoid soy dips. That feels better in my stomach

The quality of Chinese food has really deteriorated in my area. It seems like there is a "Chinese" restaurant on every block these days. It is relatively inexpensive but that is about the only positive thing I can say. Most of the time it is a repulsive looking pile of soggy, oil dripping meat and vegetables served with over-cooked rice. On top of that, the same boring menu is used at most of these places. The veggies are always limited to broccoli, zucchini squash, onions, bean sprouts, and carrots. There are a couple better quality places around but they are on a distant side of the city.

Incidentally, the media reports suggest that Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonalds burgers are the nouveau cuisine in China these days. Nothing healthy about that. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

The Chinese restaurants in my area have gone down in quality as well, perhaps because they've started trying to cater too much to local tastes. (They have fried chicken, French fries, etc. on the menu now.) My family has taken to going to our nearest Asian grocery and buying frozen food and sauces instead.

The best way to figure out if a Chinese restaurant is good or not: peek in the windows and see if there are plenty of genuine Chinese people inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    It's not the scale that scares me, but rather the fact that my arteries are going to need Drano to unclog them. I hate the taste of that stuff!
    Hah FO!....Right you are there!

But....at least ya can repeat the unclogging as necessary.....