Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: core strengthening for person with C5-C6 injury

Snowman-Do you have a video you can share that demonstrate the v exercise to strengthening your core?

the one i just recently learned i can do is simple and needs no equipment!!!

you are sat in your wheelchair, brakes on. and lean over to the left(just slightly at first) then focus and begin to pull yourself upright VERY SLOWLY. DO NOT hold on your chair in order to stabilize. this helps you focus on the muscles. do this for 15 reps, on each side. 3x a day. after 2 weeks, increase the reps by 5. once 20 reps is too easy, add a weight. around 3lbs. and then once 20 reps is easy to do, increase the reps by 5 and increase to 5lb weight. once you reach 10lbs, you then lean FURTHER away and try again. you may need to go back down to no weight.

the second is literally pretending like you're a wheelchair fencer. except use a 3lb weight as your "sword" (hold it like you would a weigt, but the weight should be vertical)

practice lunges and retreats on both sides. this you do need to use your wheel to help you retreat/lunge but i swear, best.ab.workout.ever. it's painful and wonderful. i love love fencing as a workout!!!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I'm a quad C6&C7 Inc. How many times a week you think I should do these exercise?

I have attached a PDF of the exercise I previously described

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Snowman-Thanks for the PDF of exercisers. Do you think these exercise will help with my stomach muscles? Like I said earlier I'm a C6 & C7 Inc. I've been working on my bladder and bowel.I know when I have to go but,I have issues holding it until I can get to the bathroom sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.I beleive if I can hold it for a few minutes until I get to the bathroom I will be doing great in that area.There are times when I empty my bladder early in the morning by command and I don't have to go again until three are four hours later but there are times when I know it time to go and unable to hold it.If you know of any exercises that will help please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I have attached a PDF of the exercise I previously described
    very interesting. so can this be done without assistance? i live by myself so it'd be great to do these on my own.

7summer

This exercise could help with regaining your abdominals...I can't guarantee it though.

cryptic

It would be tough to do this without assistance and you wouldn't get the same eccentric stimulus. It is amazing the contraction you can get when you are resisting someone trying to push you down.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    7summer

This exercise could help with regaining your abdominals...I can't guarantee it though.

cryptic

It would be tough to do this without assistance and you wouldn't get the same eccentric stimulus. It is amazing the contraction you can get when you are resisting someone trying to push you down.
    true but access to that someone who can help with that is is not available, so i guess i'll continue with my current regimen. i am not looking to regain anything, just keeping fit and moving my body in different ways, which is just good for health overall. if something is regained, then ok, if not, i'll just continue rubbing my quad gut for good luck lol

Snowman-How many times a week will you recommend these exercices?

Again, without a proper evaluation it is tough to say. However, 3 times per week would be the average we perform similar exercises at Project Walk.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc