Thread: Autonomic Dysreflexia from bowel?

Autonomic Dysreflexia from bowel?

I keep getting a ton of Autonomic Dysreflexia everyday. It always starts between 4pm and 5pm. Some days are really bad. When I lay down it gets better unless I blow the fan on my stomach which is why I think it may be an intestinal issue. I'm not constipated. If I move my catheter around I still feel fine so I don't think it's my bladder.

More likely, something about your posture and seating are causing the autonomia every day around the same time. If you aren't constipated and have regular bowel programs and movement of your catheter doesn't cause or make the autonomia worse, then check your cushion, wheelchair back, clothing for wrinkles or tightness, swollen feet in your shoes etc.

All the best,
    GJ

I agree with GJ. I note that you are a quad. Are you able to shift your weight around when sitting to relieve pressure on your butt?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    More likely, something about your posture and seating are causing the autonomia every day around the same time. If you aren't constipated and have regular bowel programs and movement of your catheter doesn't cause or make the autonomia worse, then check your cushion, wheelchair back, clothing for wrinkles or tightness, swollen feet in your shoes etc.

All the best,
    GJ
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I agree with GJ. I note that you are a quad. Are you able to shift your weight around when sitting to relieve pressure on your butt?
    What would the reason be if I blew a fan on my stomach when I'm laying down and then it suddenly starts?

What is the purpose for the fan... if I might ask?
    And if it is the fan, perhaps your nervous system takes the sensation as distressing and is letting you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    What is the purpose for the fan... if I might ask?
    And if it is the fan, perhaps your nervous system takes the sensation as distressing and is letting you know it.
    My stomach always feels like it's on fire and I can't sleep without it. I've used it for 7 years and it suddenly bothers me.

Is it psychological/neuropathic or actual pain? Perhaps a cold rag/pack might do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan21105 View Post
    What would the reason be if I blew a fan on my stomach when I'm laying down and then it suddenly starts?
    There is a good chance that they are unrelated issues. There are many things that cause AD and more than one can exist at the same time. I have recently developed burning abdominal pain and am successfully treating it with amitriptyline. Have you tried any pain meds? Also, is your injury complete or incomplete?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Is it psychological/neuropathic or actual pain? Perhaps a cold rag/pack might do the trick.
    It's tingling of the face flushed feeling like dysreflexia.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    There is a good chance that they are unrelated issues. There are many things that cause AD and more than one can exist at the same time. I have recently developed burning abdominal pain and am successfully treating it with amitriptyline. Have you tried any pain meds? Also, is your injury complete or incomplete?
    I've tried pain meds but it doesn't help with the tingling and flushed feeling. I'm complete.

Have you taken your blood pressure? Is it elevated? That would confirm that it is ad. If that is the case, then you need to find out what is triggering it. As you probably know, 85% of the time it is bladder related, 10% of the time it is bowel related and the other 5% is who knows what. Are you sure that it isn't bowel or bladder related? How do you know?
    CKF