Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with new cushion and new skin issue

Need help with new cushion and new skin issue

Hello all,

I'm having skin issues on and around my genitals and I cannot figure out why. I spoke with my doctor and he is clueless. They are not in an area where pressure wounds normally show up. I have a Roho Quotro cushion and a tilt/recline Pride power wheelchair. No matter how many weight shifts I preform throughout the day, my skin opens up on either side of my genitals. I'm a C5-C6 quad injured 12 years ago. This started around one year ago. I was using a regular Roho when they started and I noticed a dead spot in the cushion to wards the back. When I switched to the Quotro, it seemed to help for a little while, but they came back within a few weeks. I want to switch cushions, but I'm not sure if there is anything better than the Roho. There is one cushion I want, but it is $3000! I cannot afford that.

Does anyone have any recommendation? I have a pressure mapping appointment scheduled in the next week and hopefully that will give me answers, but I'm doubtful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cliff

Do you have any issues with too much moisture in that area? My first thought for skin splitting in that area is a fungal infection.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I would suspect a fungal infection too. At the first sign of redness in that area, I apply Lotrimin antifungal powder and it does the job for me. There are several of these otc preparations available in most drug stores. There are both cremes and powders. I prefer the powder because it helps to keep the area dry.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I agree with it being fugal, being clean is important. I also had to start wearing boxer briefs instad of regular briefs to have some more "movement" for my junk, plus the elastic around the legs was leaving red irritated looking marks.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    At the first sign of redness in that area, I apply Lotrimin antifungal powder and it does the job for me. There are several of these otc preparations available in most drug stores. There are both cremes and powders. I prefer the powder because it helps to keep the area dry.
    I didn't want to suggest self treating since I'm not SCI and don't know the issues there. But if it was myself, I would try an over the counter fungal medication for yeast infections/athletes foot like suggested. I get those deep cracks in the corner of my mouth which is actually a yeast infection caused by moisture (Angular cheilitis.) I lick and chew at my lips too often, combined with excessive use of chapstick in effort to keep myself from chewing or picking at my lips. I used to apply chapstick to the ulcers thinking it was chapped lips, but sealing in moisture made them very deep. Now as soon as it starts getting red and inflammed, I apply a little monistat or lamisil and it clears up fast.

Its the same sort of thing that can happen in the genital area. Making sure to wear cotton underwear, boxers for men and so forth are good to help decrease moisture. I imagine what kind of cushion and cover would also affect it. If this is whats going on and its a long term issue, maybe something like the cushion cover with stimulite on top could help increase airflow and decrease moisture?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

No cotton. Cotton retains moisture.

Use a polypropylene type material that'll wick moisture away... under armour, dri fit, etc.

cotton underwear is supposed to breathe. There may be materials that are better than cotton though. I buy cheap underwear, and my options are cotton or microfiber. My microfiber ones are horrible about retaining moisture. I mostly wore them under riding breeches because they didn't show panty lines (bought them for that reason), but god they got nasty from holding on to all the sweat. When I changed out of my breeches I'd change them too.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 04-30-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Your cushion cover may not be breathable creating a hothouse effect leading to rash. When I buy underwear I usually get sports underwear used by bicycle riders. I don't buy unless the material is referred to as having wicking properties.

I'm not a big fan of Roho because they don't "breathe" terribly well. I use a Jay Deep Contour cushion and have had much better luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I would suspect a fungal infection too. .
    me too