Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vindictiveness

Vindictiveness

I had to sue a former employer after multiple attempts to get it to act reasonably and lawfully failed...I settled. Years later, they are still trying to defame me. I am torn between another, and worse and more aggressive lawsuit, reaching a publicized trial that will expose their misery, or just ignoring them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply View Post
    I had to sue a former employer after multiple attempts to get it to act reasonably and lawfully failed...I settled. Years later, they are still trying to defame me. I am torn between another, and worse and more aggressive lawsuit, reaching a publicized trial that will expose their misery, or just ignoring them.
    You're probably very fortunate to have received a settlement. You must have had the resources to fight them initially or else they would have hung you out to dry. What is the reward if you start litigation again?

It's hard to restore reputations or assign a monetary value to them. I can see it being a small world in just about any part of Iowa that you may live in.

I'd take the initial settlement and move on or away.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    You're probably very fortunate to have received a settlement. You must have had the resources to fight them initially or else they would have hung you out to dry. What is the reward if you start litigation again?

It's hard to restore reputations or assign a monetary value to them. I can see it being a small world in just about any part of Iowa that you may live in.

I'd take the initial settlement and move on or away.
    Resources are mainly in the way of courage and smarts. My lawyer went on contingency.

What was the basis of your lawsuit? Why did you settle? Were you bound by the terms of the settlement not to discuss the suit? (If you were and they're still laboring to damage your reputation, well that ain't right.) If you move forward and mount a defamation suit, one that you suggest will go public, would a victory redound to the betterment of others with disabilities as well as yourself? In other words, is this for the larger "cause" or is it strictly to uphold/restore your reputation? (Either reason is perfectly legitimate in my book.)

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    What was the basis of your lawsuit? Why did you settle? Were you bound by the terms of the settlement not to discuss the suit? (If you were and they're still laboring to damage your reputation, well that ain't right.) If you move forward and mount a defamation suit, one that you suggest will go public, would a victory redound to the betterment of others with disabilities as well as yourself? In other words, is this for the larger "cause" or is it strictly to uphold/restore your reputation? (Either reason is perfectly legitimate in my book.)
    For the cause, really. My reputation really is not at risk.

For the cause, really. My reputation really is not at risk.
    For the cause, good. So, how can we help you? You started this thread in the hope that. . . what?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    For the cause, good. So, how can we help you? You started this thread in the hope that. . . what?
    Just help me think, which you are doing...Litigation was draining, but if nobody does it then how will bullies change? I did effect change, and I am sure they will think twice before bullying another disabled human being . But apparently they need another round.

Maybe a warning letter from your attorney would be sufficient at this point...if it doesn't do the job, you could use the terms of the letter as the basis for further action.

Just help me think, which you are doing...Litigation was draining, but if nobody does it then how will bullies change? I did effect change, and I am sure they will think twice before bullying another disabled human being . But apparently they need another round.
    I realize that you wish to be circumspect with regard to the history of events you're alluding to, but it would be helpful if you could prepare something of a narrative (changing names, locations, etc.) of what transpired and what's occurring now so that we can better understand your situation and offer informed responses toward helping you brainstorm a plan of action or taking none at all.

I'm still not clear on what the lawsuit was about and why another round is needed, and which party is being "vindictive".

You say that the first lawsuit 'effected change' - what was the change, and what was the impact/implication?

If (positive) change was effected, why is a more aggressive second lawsuit necessary?

Given your statement that your personal reputation is not at risk and your goal is toward a 'greater good', what exactly is that goal?