Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Months post injury

7 Months post injury

Sorrry its been quite awhile since I posted' I have went from flat on my back after T-11&12 compression fractures (incomplete)along with a broken pelvis in two spots after a fall from a roof to wheel chair, walker. crutches and a cane there have been many bumps in the road but I feel lucky. I still have saddle numbness+ED and a weak left leg, currently have intense throbbing, burning pain from my tailbone area down my left butt cheek & left leg the more my tailbone hurts the worse the symptoms when its real bad I tend to have smallness"leaking" accidents, my PT wrote it off as ortho arthritis!!! Awaiting a second round of steroids injection... I pray it helps throwing up from pain in the mornings is getting old.... take care I know there are many who have it much worse then I but somedays it gets overwhelming

That left-sided burning sounds more like neuropathic pain (which can flare at any time post-injury) than arthritis to me. I hope the injections help. It is so frustrating to deal with these kinds of symptoms, and I totally get it about some days putting you on overwhelm.

Did you have any neuropathic pain symptoms before this? burnig, tingling, electric like, crawling etc.. Could be acute or neuropathic pain or a little of both. Also NSAIDS such as naproxen 500 mg twice a day might help.
    Rven with the steroid injection you can take the Naprodxen and start on Gabapentin or similiar for neuropathic pain. Always start on a low dose and would work up if needed.
    CWO

I guess what has frustrated me the most and seems to have given the Dr's an out is pre injury i was months away from getting a trial SCS unit for illiolinguanal neuropathy which affected my groin, left side and quad muscle in my left leg, i had no E.D (retracted "unit") saddle numbness, burning now in both quad muscles, drop foot and occasional bladder & anal leakage they are quick to say "you had issues before you fell" I agree it is nero pain due to the pins and needles, burning and spasms my leg muscles jump all over some evenings when i am sitting watching TV and still get EXTREME sphincter spasms at night i can tell when it is going to occur when my tail bone region hurts (pain level 8) during the day,,, The steroid injections are in the L-5 due to bulged disks from the fall which is causing the sciatic pain i was not sure the first round helped until it must have worn off after a few weeks i had sciatic like pain before the injections but i awoke one morning to almost day of injury level pain i assumed it was just a "bad day" but has continued for 3-weeks now i pray the injections bring it back under control, I just started lyica and had to go back on oxy's hopefully this is just a temp setback, i feel lucky to be able to walk again but it hurts so much when i do i can only stay on my legs a few hours a day... Sorry for the long rant... jwj

You are describing neuropathic pain and another issue-spasticity which is spasms and or increased tone.CWO

I hope you won't have long to wait before you start seeing pain-related improvement from the injections.

Hi JWJ, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm not experiencing the severity of neurological pain that you seem to be but so many of your symptoms are familiar...the saddle numbness, the weakness on one side, tailbone pain, pain and fatigue when walking. You have some good suggestions on things to try and it seems that your doctor is trying new things. I sure hope that you get relief real quick. I don't have much additional advice to offer except to say that things change all the time with this condition. What was true previously sometimes is corrected and then other challenges crop up. You have lots of company here and I understand your frustrations. Keep your chin up and keep working on the pain. I hope it's just a matter of time and of finding the right combination of remedies.

Thanks everyone; I should have demanded to be transferred to bigger hospital from day one or should I say day 3 since it took them that long to realize I had two broken vertebra along with my broken pelvis since there is no spine Dr and was "diagnosed" via computer; also my fault that I assumed loss of bladder control-leg numbness etc. Was just normal, not until I could not urinate did I raise a flag I fear there is no going back, although I still have trouble urinating many days I have not wet myself for over a month!!!! (small victories) I went to a chiropractor for my low back pain a month sgo who looked at my CT scan and said I had 4 bulged disks especially L5 so he would not work on me but I am heading in the right direction now!!

It's human nature to the nth degree to question ourselves and kick ourselves for decisions made and not made - I do it a lot. But the thing is, SCI due to any cause is strange and unpredictable - even people who do everything "right" and get gold-standard care from the outset can have undesirable outcomes. The fact that you have not wet yourself in over a month seems quite significant to me, much more than a small victory. Progress with SCI is measured in years, and your body is silently working toward its own equilibrium. It is so, so hard for the mind and emotions to get on that timetable.

Thanks Bonnet, my biggest issue has been the very slow recovery day 5 in hospital I asked how long before I can work again when I was told 6-12 months earliest I thought yea right but that was 7 months ago I am now a believer this is going to take some time! Patience is learned.