Thread: Needing answers

Needing answers

My husband had surgery on the 1st of Feb 2012 to remove a arachoid cyst .On the 3rd of feb they had to go back in to repair a spinal fluid leak then again on the 27th of feb onced again they had to go back in to repair that leak again .He was release to come home 2 days after the last surgey and we done everything the dr told us to do .And things seem to be going find but then in mid March he started having pain like he had had before the repair so they done another mri on the 26 th of march on the 3rd of april we went back to see his dr and he said there was a pocket of fliud but he thought it was old fliud from the repair .My husbands pain has just continued to get worst so we ended up in the er onced more on the 20th of april where they did yet another mri but released him to go home after that then on the 23rd we recieve a phone call that yes he was leaking and surgery would need to be done again to repair the leak .My question is this has been leaking for a month his pain is worse and he also has been having bad head aches but they have yet to tell us the date of the next surgery .What should I do to try tyo keep him safe until then what should his actives be should he be up moving around ..Please someone give me some answers because I've not been able to get the dr to return my calls so I can ask him ..

Quote Originally Posted by trena View Post
    My husband had surgery on the 1st of Feb 2012 to remove a arachoid cyst .On the 3rd of feb they had to go back in to repair a spinal fluid leak then again on the 27th of feb onced again they had to go back in to repair that leak again .He was release to come home 2 days after the last surgey and we done everything the dr told us to do .And things seem to be going find but then in mid March he started having pain like he had had before the repair so they done another mri on the 26 th of march on the 3rd of april we went back to see his dr and he said there was a pocket of fliud but he thought it was old fliud from the repair .My husbands pain has just continued to get worst so we ended up in the er onced more on the 20th of april where they did yet another mri but released him to go home after that then on the 23rd we recieve a phone call that yes he was leaking and surgery would need to be done again to repair the leak .My question is this has been leaking for a month his pain is worse and he also has been having bad head aches but they have yet to tell us the date of the next surgery .What should I do to try tyo keep him safe until then what should his actives be should he be up moving around ..Please someone give me some answers because I've not been able to get the dr to return my calls so I can ask him ..
    Trena, I am so sorry that you and your husband are going through all of this. CSF leaks are the bane of neurosurgery. Let me explain what is going on and the principles behind the leaks, what they are trying to do to stop the CSF leaks, and what eventually stops the leaks.

Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is made in the choroid plexus (a vascular tissue located in the fourth ventricle in the brainstem). The choroid plexus makes about 2 liters of CSF per day and about half goes upward to the brain to fill the ventricles and other fluid spaces in the brain. The other half goes down the spinal cord. The arachnoid (a membrane that covers the brain and spinal cord (beneath the dura) absorbs the CSF back into blood.

A CSF leak occurs when there is a hole in the arachnoid membrane. The arachnoid itself is a very thin and flimsy membrane. It is surrounded by the dura mater, literally in Latin meaning tough mother, which provides the mechanical support to hold the arachnoid membrane against CSF pressure. The arachnoid is designed to grow rapidly and repair itself. It does so 99% of the time. Every time neurosurgery is done, for example, the arachnoid is cut and it heals itself.

When the hole in the arachnoid fails to heal, the CSF leaks into the space between the arachnoid and dura. If there is a hole in the dura, CSF leaks out of the skull and spinal canal (CSF may come out of the nose or other places). Eventually, when the arachnoid forms around the fluid cavity between the arachnoid and dura, this results in an arachnoid cyst. CSF may still communicate with the cyst and cause it to enlarge and compress the brain or spinal cord.

The treatment for CSF leaks is of course to find the hole and seal it. Usually, something called a blood patch is used. The blood clot causes inflammation which attracts inflammatory and stem cells to the area. For some reason, still not well understood, some people don't heal their arachnoid and CSF continues to leak. It happens more frequently in people who are sick and have low blood protein.

What I want to reassure you is that CSF leaks always close, eventually. I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. Almost every neurosurgeon has had CSF leaks that in a patient that requires multiple surgeries. I sincerely hope that the next time, the leak seals. In the meanwhile, you should feed your husband chicken soup and other nutritious things.

Wise.