Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foot and leg strengthening exercises aft Achilles tendon lengthening?

mj23--

I had this operation also. Be careful with the exercises, you do not want to re-injure it by overexertion. I was told the tendon takes a year to completely heal.

Ease into putting your legs through heavy workouts (weight lifting, leg press). You have remarkable function. the leg will be weak in the near term, and may not return to full strength, but of course, the trade off is more flexibility of the ankle. Slow and steady is the best for now.
    Best of luck to you, keep posting your progress. Very interested in how well you do.

thx for the advise graybeard
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I've had this operation multiple times on both feet. It somewhat weakens your tendon, so be careful not to put too much strain on it. Although, it's been a while since the actual operation for you, so I would just try not to do anything that actually hurts.

As far as I know, the others are on the right track telling you to do stair steps, and other calf-strengthening exercises. However, if you have spasticity in your calf muscles, and if this is one of the underlying causes of the original shortening of the tendon, then you may want to take care not to make them *too* strong. In my experience, the stronger the muscle, the more spastic it will be; and then you might be right back where you started in a couple of years.

Good luck.

thx Saranoya
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery