Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot and leg strengthening exercises aft Achilles tendon lengthening?

Foot and leg strengthening exercises aft Achilles tendon lengthening?

Does anyone know any good exercises?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

What did the surgeon recommend? Didn't you go to PT after the surgery? Did they give you a home program?

No he told me to get my foot and leg stronger. I'm a walking quad. Ever since the surgery I feel like I limp a little more but he said that you have to strengthen your foot and leg now cause its weaker.
    Last edited by mj23; 04-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

How long ago was the surgery?

6 months ago

Get a script from your primary care doctor for a short course of PT.

Until then - walk, walk up stairs a lot, and do this exercise...

Stand up on your toes, then back down. UP, then down. 15 time in a row without stopping. Rest. Repeat. Try it on one leg alone. Hold on to something lightly if you need to. Then do the other leg.

Then hold weights in your hands or have ankle weights on while you are doing it.

calf raises will be good for foot/ankle/calves...u can do them standing or seated ...for leg..either extentions(for quads)..or hamstring curls(for hamstrings)...there are more but those are the most basic....click my signature link for exercises, there are descriptions and pictures for these ..
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Thanks roc21, do them without my afo right? I know calf raises for sure. Also won't calf raises cause my foot drop to come back?
    Last edited by mj23; 04-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
    Thanks roc21, do them without my afo right? I know calf raises for sure. Also won't calf raises cause my foot drop to come back?

i would think if u can walk, u have function in your ankle and foot drop wouldnt be an issue...isnt foot drop a problem with those with no function in lower limb,, i dont have footdrop, i have muscletone and can control movement in my foot/ankle, so im not sure about that.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

I had a herniated disk wen I was in the hospital