Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you use knife? the what's and how's?

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    We all need to be very careful out and about now. Stealing powerchairs is progresively becoming something to do in the hood. I am excited about using the extensive rails to trails system around the city of Pittsburgh but once I am on it, I am a sitting duck. No pun intended.

The trails along the riverbank are often shielded by bushes, tall weeds, old fences and other leftovers from the tremendous manufacturing era that has left us hurting and moved overseas. An ambush in the waiting. I believe nothing less than twin mounted 50 caliber machine guns would protect folks in some areas.
    When there's only a way out at either end and there's cover, I call it a 'mugger's alley'. I don't go into places like that if I can avoid it. I like having several ways out. Unless we're going about strapped with weapons we're trained on and allowed to carry, it's out brains that are going to save us.

how to decide

Assess your fight / flight reflex, can you fight? are you willing to defend yourself or are you morally opposed to all violence?

Access the impact of what will/won't happen and what might/might not happen

Access your willingness to hurt severly or possibly maim or kill another person

Access your ability to live with the result of your actions.

NEXT STEP

Understand the course of violence, ...each action raises the stakes for both you and the attacker

Understand that you CANNOT threaten an attacker, you have now put them in a vulnerable position and now they have to escalate. Some MIGHT flee most won't.

You cannot beat them up.

Understand your course of action must be quick and severe and must immediately disable them for a long period of time til help comes or you can escape.

If you are comfortable with the above, carry a weapon. Decide what and learn about it. If a gun, learn to shoot, if a knife learn how it works and how it works as a weapon, it doesn't have to be big. Other weapons can be your hands, hammer, screwdriver. TRAIN with your weapon, if you flinch at a decisive moment it will cost you, maybe your life. Seek professional training.

MISCONCEPTION / MISUNDERSTANDING They'll use my weapon against me

If responding as described the probability of you being hurt by your own weapon is miniscule. Threaten with a weapon and that probability goes sky high.

I no longer carry a gun, but find it an acceptable thing to do.

I often carry a knife, but know how it works and how to use it.

I have no problem responding severly/terminally with an attacker. They initiated the situation, I end them.

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

All above is great info, and I fully agree with your last statement. If someone is low enough to cause someone in a wheelchair harm, then I wouldn't hesistate to do serious harm to that person to defend myself.

I gues the most important thing is if/when it comes to it, don't hesistate.

Nia: I can hardly believe what happened to you, a real eye opener! Well done on having all your docs elsewhere. What a scumbag
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    When I was a child, I had a cowboy belt with a derringer consealed in the large buckle. To deploy and fire the derringer all that was required was to give the belly a significant outward push. I would like to have one loaded with a .410 shot gun shell holding buckshot. I think they hold around 5 or 6 0 buckshot pellets. That would definately do the job on someone standing in front. Not being able to cough, just may make the thing a bit safer.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 05-02-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Ket,

Thanks for writing that. You gave me a lot to think about and I think some information I didn't have.

And I would stay in the prison for 21 years for shooting somebody. That is proberly the rest of my life.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Bente there are option besides guns. Love Oslo and Bergen spen time there.

You do have some self defense laws but I know gus are not viable in many countries, but there are many effective weapons that are legal if you choose this path

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Quote Originally Posted by Herco16 View Post
    Are you prepared to kill someone over a wallet? If not, then carrying a knife isn't for you. Give them your wallet, pull yourself back in your chair, curse and continue with life.

Dave
    Agreed, property is not worth killing someone.

good technique i going on a rails ti trail or any area, or even every day have a real wallet and a muggers wallet.
    The muggers wallet has twenty bucks in small bills,old credit cards and such plus what anything you can out in it to give a used feeling. place that in your wc bag of bag and heel your real stuff hidden someplace you can get to it if going into a store. on a wheelchair this is a lot easier to than when walking, i do this sometimes in NYC but it is a hassel to get to the real stuff.
    Also i have been asked for the time many times in the hood. i always had a cheap casio watch , so nothing happened but i knew something was wrong, i still am not sure what the plan of attack is. Maybe they are looking to see if you have an expensive watch, an ipod or smart phone is the popular time piece of the younger generation. also the mere stupidiness of taking your eyes off the person, lays to open for a sucker punch or a crack with anything from a blackjack to the ghetto popular and effective tools of the trade, the knee sock filled with a couple D batteries or master locks.

another actin that has caused me a couple aggressive and hostile run ins are when some one of the dirtbag genre strikes up a conversation, then wants to shake your hand, instinctively, that is too much of a opening and loss of leverage,so i refuse to, and that has resulted in quite a few angry standoffs on their part, on my part i make it known i will fight. Jack ,from Ohio witnessed one in a bus when visiting NYC. Now to avoid unnecessary hostilities and in reality to do the correct action, a fist bump is all that is required for such a gesture, made popular and official in Jail due to low sanitation facilities. All the people i know from the hood, greet me with a fist bumo and introduce me to their friends and a fist bump is the protocol.
    The handshake is a red herring. I learned about thee red herrings the hard way when i was 12 . i would think a stun gun to the face would help one out, and the DA can decide not to prosecute or prosecute at the lowest option, or arresting cops /responding cops might make a mistake in paperwork that a lawyer can get you clear on, if you are using a wheelchair and especially if you have low function. Remember never say anything to the police when they question you, that will be used against you, lawyer up,you will probably get off, if you say you carried it for defense , the prosecution has an admission of guilt if you are violating the law, or that means you planned to use it as a weapon., These are NYC rules it may be different in other locations
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by bollefen View Post
    Bente there are option besides guns. Love Oslo and Bergen spen time there.

You do have some self defense laws but I know gus are not viable in many countries, but there are many effective weapons that are legal if you choose this path

ket
    Even the pepper spray is forbidden.

People have guns here but I have never seen one and it is forbidden in the street and always forbidden for people in wheelchairs. Such a stupid rule, do they think people in wheelchairs are more crazy then walking people. It is even forbidden for the police to carry a gun without special permission. So the laws are stright.
    TH 12, 43 years post