Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use knife? the what's and how's?

Do you use knife? the what's and how's?

I'm just sharing. I've been a para for 9 years now and it hasn't been easy for me. I've been mugged 3 times in the past 9 years on a wheelchair, and last night I just got mugged, again. I've been hit several times because i thought he was joking and I ignored him. Turns out it's real. He even pushed me out of my chair. In Disneyland, Cal. Disneyland!!! Can you believe that? FML.

Good thing he only go for the wallet which I put in my sweater. I put my phone under my cushion. All my passport and boarding pass is safe at the hotel.

I was thinking about having a pump gun/bb gun but unfortunately it's illegal here. So ruling that one out, i can only go for knife. I googled and apparently there's plenty of types and I cant even buy one in the end. Then I think I should seek advice from this group.

Other than those who uses gun, do you use knife? or any other suggestion?

And if you do use knife, what kind of knife? which one is safe? i heard you might hurt yourself using butterfly and folding knife. where do you put it? is there anything i need to factor? have you actually used it? which part of body is effective for a strike?

I might have to take real life seriously from now on. Damn.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

I just spit in the face of my mugger

Or carry pepper spray

I'm so sorry this has happened to you .. more than once!

I would clock a punch in the throat as hard as you can. *wear rings* Punch or poke the eyes. Do you know the 'sleeper hold' where you cut off the carotid arteries and your mugger will lose consciousness?

Something else is to grab onto their legs around the knees, even if it means going down in your chair, just hold on because they can't kick or anything .. they're coming with you like a bowling pin and once you're both on the ground, you can gain advantage if you can get to the head, grab hair and keep bouncing it off the ground (hopefully cement) over and over until they either suffer a concussion or pass out. (Experience from a domestic).

I used to have a butterfly knife but there was no way I could get it out and use it in time - no way. I never tried and don't have it anymore as I knew someone could get it away from me and use it on me.

Anymore I try not to go out at night or park/be in known dangerous places because I'm just too old for that nonsense anymore! Be aware of your surroundings and yell for help loud!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Carrying a concealed knife of more than a small size in CA is also illegal. Switchblades and other similar knifes are illegal in any size. In many areas you need a permit to carry pepper spray, or it may be entirely illegal.

Do you have an armrest on your wheelchair? If so, I know several people who have removed these quickly and used them to beat or hit an attacker (successfully). You might also want to look into wheelchair type defensive arts that don't include weapons (judo, karate, etc.).

I hope you reported this to Disneyland's security and the police in Anaheim as well. I have seen slime at Disneyland and just about any large collection of people. There is no "goodness" filter used when selling tickets!

(KLD)

lynnifer : i've heard it and saw it, but actually dont know how to perform it other than pressing both of someone's pulse at the neck. but i prefer cutting their throat open.

KLD : i did report. not that they can do anything about it. good thing about the mugger is that he left my wallet and go only for the money, which is a relief. maybe he figured i cant really run after him. the damage is less than 50 bucks.

If im going for confrontation, i need the "1 hit KO" type of move or it would be pointless. i can punch someone in the groin and delay him for a while but he'll beat me up real good after that.believe me, i've tried.

"Slice his throat open!" is what my guts tell me everytime, and sadly i dont have a knife at the moment. I'm aware the limitation of a "small knife" is it must be less than 6" long, both blade and handle.

I have armrest which i took of a long time ago. I'm thinking about merging armrest with a blade at the base of the armrest. dat would be a good idea. or maybe a knife hidden and the brake.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

One of these can/bottle opener-corkscrews can be frightening and do some damage, if necessary to ward off someone who does not have a gun. Just grasp it with the cork screw pointing outward between two fingers and the pointed end coming out between your thumb and index finger. you can slash and inflict painful puncture wounds.

You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

How about a taser or stun gun to knock them down. They have them that look like a flashlight and packing around 500,000V these days, and they are pretty effective at stopping someone. The little arc is pretty daunting in the dark to dissuade them also.

If serious about knives and options PM me. I taught hand to hand to military, police, civilians and women. But understand your response esclates the situation and you will have to have the resolve to finish what you start.

If in public the best is to properly pack your valuables as you did, fall and scream or get one of those canned noise screamers and put it next to his ear. I don't recommend holding on. if you scream loudly in public, rape, kidnapping, fire, he's stealing my baby, or some such the perp will want to get as far away as quickly as possible.

more than that I can offer privately.

Sorry for this

Ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Taser and stuns have legal issues and a hardened physical guy will be back faster than you would believe.

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

SCI Nurse wrote: "Carrying a concealed knife of more than a small size in CA is also illegal. Switchblades and other similar knifes are illegal in any size. In many areas you need a permit to carry pepper spray, or it may be entirely illegal.

Do you have an armrest on your wheelchair? If so, I know several people who have removed these quickly and used them to beat or hit an attacker (successfully). You might also want to look into wheelchair type defensive arts that don't include weapons (judo, karate, etc.).

I hope you reported this to Disneyland's security and the police in Anaheim as well. I have seen slime at Disneyland and just about any large collection of people. There is no "goodness" filter used when selling tickets!

(KLD)"

You're misinformed about Califnornia's dangerous weapon's laws. A concealed knife of any length is legal as long as it is not a fixed blade. Switchblades are not illegal in California. They are illegal to possess if they are longer than 2 inches unless you have an allowance as a member of the military or police.

Currently no license if required to carry pepper spray or Mace in California (state law) though training is something I would strongly recommend.

Possession of a baton is a felony in California though "baton" has not been defined except vaguely as an instrument capable of striking. It is the intent that mostly defines it. Most weapons laws are discretionary, meaning the officer can determine if a law is being broken.

Avoiding a fight is best and usually possible. As an example, I won't ride an elevator with another person. I'll wait for another if I have to. Cross the street. Take a longer route. It's about staying safe and there's no way to guarantee that.

"Strategic thought is the prevention of first strike temptation in the enemy." There are things that can be done to make yourself less of a target. Winning a fight is rare. Surviving one is best and I think Erik Kondo is an excellent source for self-defense for wheelchair users.