Thread: BBQ chicken recipe

BBQ chicken recipe

I wanted to put this in it's own thread because I need quick opinions on this. I am making BBQ chicken tomorrow and would like to know if this recipe sounds like it would be okay to use. Minus the onions because I don't have any and I don't like onions.

2 cups of BBQ sauce
    1/2 chopped onions
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast

Take chicken breast rinse and place on paper towel to dry. Add the BBQ sauce, onions and brown sugar in bowl and mix. Preheat oven to 360. Place chicken into sauce and cover the whole piece of chicken then place in low casserole dish (glass) or cookie sheet.
    Cook for about 45 minutes.

My idea was to cook the chicken in a crockpot, then cover it in BBQ sauce and put it in a dish in the oven. But this way sounds so much easier. I just want it to be cooked well and not dried out.

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I wanted to put this in it's own thread because I need quick opinions on this. I am making BBQ chicken tomorrow and would like to know if this recipe sounds like it would be okay to use. Minus the onions because I don't have any and I don't like onions.

2 cups of BBQ sauce
    1/2 chopped onions
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast

Take chicken breast rinse and place on paper towel to dry. Add the BBQ sauce, onions and brown sugar in bowl and mix. Preheat oven to 360. Place chicken into sauce and cover the whole piece of chicken then place in low casserole dish (glass) or cookie sheet.
    Cook for about 45 minutes.

My idea was to cook the chicken in a crockpot, then cover it in BBQ sauce and put it in a dish in the oven. But this way sounds so much easier. I just want it to be cooked well and not dried out.
    Fist off omit the rinsing and drying of the chicken, not only is it a waste of time it's dangerous. I'll find the article and post it later. But in a nutshell you spread more bacteria when rinsing poulty, the article explains it much better. I don't rinse any sort of meat off whatsoever. Also what's the point drying off if you are going to simmer? The main point of drying meat is to give it a dry area to form a crust when you sear, versus steaming the meat.

Boneless skinless breast does not take long at all to cook and will dry out.

Here is my suggestion and you only dirty one dish.

Place chicken in a lightly oiled casserole dish, season (salt and pepper is fine or whatever you like) and place in a 375* oven for 35-45 minutes depending on the size. Remove the chicken from the oven turn the oven on broil and raise the cooking rack almost to the top. Once the oven is up to temp baste the breasts with your choice of BBQ sauce (omit the sugar if you are using bottled BBQ sauce, they're nothing but sugar, rather add honey for a great flavor and glaze) and place back under the broiler. Baste every five minutes with thin coats until the chicken has formed a nice thick coat of sauce.

*Note: Don't overly worry about the chicken being done enough, it will be. This is where I think people overcook to 'be safe' and end up with dry chicken. 160* is safe for breast as a finished temperature (actually lower is even safe). So with that said if you are having a dinner party and the chicken will be sitting for a bit after it's cooked, it can be pulled at 155*, foiled and put on the table and while sitting it will continue to cook. However is you cooked until 160*, it will again continue to cook as well and end up overcooked. Probably more information than you wanted, but I'm bored this morning having coffee. Good luck!
    Last edited by WolfeMan; 04-26-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

I ended up cooking it at 350 for 55 minutes. Then putting BBQ sauce on it and cooking it another 20 minutes. It seemed to have turned out okay. I was concerned at first though because I thought it was dried out when I first took it out of the oven.