Thread: Icon or ZRA?

Icon or ZRA?

Im on the market for a new chair and since im paying out of pocket i want to get the best that I can find. Ive had a TI-Lite chair in the past and was pleased with its quality although it couldnt withstand heavy use on grass (the wheel axle broke while i was on a camping trip).

Right now Im using a Quickie 2 HP (a TANK). It is heavy as sh** but it can stand up to anything I throw at it.

I recently came across the Icon and love the fact that you can customize every measurement plus its very aesthetically pleasing. My only concern is if it could stand up to hard use on a daily basis.

I am 190 and am very active. I work out constantly and sometimes lift while im in my chair. The Icon spec sheet says there is a strict weight limit of 265. If i push 2 x 45 lbs dumbells while on the chair im already past that limit which kind of concerns me. Also I live in the city where the sidewalks and roads arent always smooth.

Sorry for the ranting, I just want to get other opinions before I make a decision. Thanks in advance!

It loks like you are heavy user of the chair. In this case I would choose ZRA. I would be worry about the way how seat is attached to the frame. Icon uses column, which may not withstand your type of workout. Especially when you will use one hand for weight lifting. That would stress column to one side. But, that would be a good question to Icon designer.
    Last edited by foton; 04-25-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: grammar

Can you lift weights in a suspension chair? I would expect that to cause the suspension to activate and mess with your lifting.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I recently (today) demoed and Icon. During the demo I rolled around SF a little and was very impressed with the Icon's suspension, it was a much better ride than my ZRA. It is hard to explain the stability the suspension the Icon gives you on uneven pavement but it is quite remarkable. I really can't speak to the weight lifting part, but as to the other aspects the Icon is solidly built and I would prefer to be ratting around the city on an Icon than my ZRA. Just FYI my ZRA has a weight limit of 260 (I have the ultralight edition and I think the limit comes from the carbon fiber camber tube but I am not 100% sure on that).

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Can you lift weights in a suspension chair? I would expect that to cause the suspension to activate and mess with your lifting.
    I workout in my Icon everyday. There is a lockout on the shock. The suspension on the Icon makes navigating uneven, cracked pavement an ease. All the jolts are absorbed that would normally go right to the spine. I personally will never sit in a chair without suspension. You'll know what I mean when you try it.

aaah! I forgot about the lockout.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I beat the shit out of my chair and am always afraid that any open/L frame chair (or 'cantilevered', if you (incorrectly) prefer ) won't be able to stand up to it. I fear that the 85 degree front angle will eventually turn into a 95. That's why my next chair is going to have a boxed frame, specifically, the TR. I even had a email exchange with a Tilte rep and he recommended the TR over a ZR for that reason. Not that something would happen to the frame, but IF it did, it wouldn't be covered under warranty.