Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you sit up

how do you sit up

How do you sit up from a laying down position. I guess I'm asking the quads because I don't think the para's have this problem but maybe you do. I sleep on my stomach and once I've flipped half way on my back, I use my right elbow to get me up. But now that my right arm is giving me trouble this has been painful and harder to do lately. Are there any youtube vids of people's technique of sitting up or are there any equipment that can help?

As a para, it is probably easier for me, but w/o any abs, it may not be much different. I have a trapeze at home. I have been told by some pt's that it isn;t a good idea, that it is bad for my shoulders, but when I am not home, I do exactly as you described, and my shoulder hates it. I was away last w/e, and my shoulder has still not recovered. So I figure the trapeze is the lesser of two evils.

I push up a little, and then reach the trapeze, and pull myself the rest of the way up. (I can't reach it flat, so I have to get my elbow under me first, but that motion is ok, it is when I have to continue to lever myself up from that position that I hurt my shoulder.)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    How do you sit up from a laying down position. I guess I'm asking the quads because I don't think the para's have this problem but maybe you do. I sleep on my stomach and once I've flipped half way on my back, I use my right elbow to get me up. But now that my right arm is giving me trouble this has been painful and harder to do lately. Are there any youtube vids of people's technique of sitting up or are there any equipment that can help?
    Have you tried hooking your opposite arm (how do I explain this) across and under your bottom knee? if you pull with that arm it could get momentum going to where the push up on your right arm would be minimal. that's how I was taught to do it when I didn't have strength in the good ol' days...
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

As a quad I roll from side to side until I can dig an elbow in. PT's and nurses don't like hearing about a trapeze but I found it to be a good friend untill gaining enough strength. Good luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    When I first had SCI, I use to work my way to the edge of the bed,so that my legs would go over the side and kinda pull my upper body upright. the trick was learning where the point was that it just didn't pull me completely OFF the bed. I find time to time I'm stiff as a board and can't sit up and find myself doing this even now at times, especially if I fall asleep on my belly for a long period of time.

I have used a trapeze at home for almost 20 yrs now. I don't have any shoulder problems from it.( I'm a para )When not at home I use my sliding board or a cane to give me some leverage to sit up.I put it perpendicular to the mattress, next to my ribs, then with my hand on the top, pull myself up.

Angle 'chair and pull on hand rim.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    My 'chair sits next to my bed on an angle and every night and I make sure it's close enough to me. In the morning when I wake up I reach my fingers between the rim and hand rim and pull myself up holding onto the hand rim.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Hook pushrim w/my left arm/hand, pull up onto my right elbow, twist and reach until I can hook under my knee. Then it helps if I cross my left leg over my right so that my left knee is pointing to my left, giving a counter-balance so my body isn't fighting to force me back down.

From my back, I lift my arms above my head and quickly throw them forward lifting me several inches up off of my back where I land on my elbows. From there, I push to a sitting position.

From my stomach, I rock from side to side until I get up on an elbow. From there, I twist until I'm on my side and then push into a sitting position.

Unfortunately, both are very arm dependent.

I wish you guys could all film your technique cuz I'm having a hard time following some of your posts, but I know thats not realistic.

I found this video on youtube of this kid and we pretty much have the same technique. At around 2:40 is where we do things differently. Instead of putting my right hand in between my legs and hooking under the left knee, I put my hand under my right knee. Since my leg is heavy it doesn't lift up and I'm able to just pull myself up from there without using my left arm. At 2:25 is where my problem is - getting onto that elbow is when it gets painful.